Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

excelsior.ink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
I have a large collection of ebooks and I'm using Apple Books. My ebooks keep offloading to the iCloud even if I download them.
I really want to keep my ebooks on the iPad. I can't find which setting I need to change.
Can anyone help me?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have a large collection of ebooks and I'm using Apple Books. My ebooks keep offloading to the iCloud even if I download them.
I really want to keep my ebooks on the iPad. I can't find which setting I need to change.
Can anyone help me?

I don’t believe it’s possible with Apple Books. That’s one thing I don’t like about iCloud Drive on iOS. You have no control over what gets offloaded.

I use Marvin sxs for my ebooks. Abandonware but it still works fine for the most part and it’s the one that suits my usage patterns best.

excelsior.ink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
Thanks!
At your advice I got Marvin 3 SxS, it's nice. But now I have to create an OPDS server?
Any alternative to Calibre? I never liked Calibre.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks!
At your advice I got Marvin 3 SxS, it's nice. But now I have to create an OPDS server?
Any alternative to Calibre? I never liked Calibre.

I just use Dropbox. Under Settings - General Settings, I set a custom Dropbox search path pointing directly to my ebooks folder. Then under Get Books - Dropbox, you can download one file, selected batches or all books inside the folder.

Caveats:
  1. Marvin only supports EPUB files.
  2. Marvin sync isn’t as complete as Apple Books sync (only syncs last read location, iirc). To me, it’s a non-issue since it’s easy enough to use Dropbox to get my entire ebooks folder to my device.
  3. Since Marvin is abandonware, it’s possible that changes to iCloud could render the sync function inoperable in the future. That said, for me the backup and export functions make it easy to recover ebooks, annotations, etc. made using Marvin.

excelsior.ink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
Well, after trying Marvin I have decided it's not what I need. In my opinion the best ebook readers for macOS and iPadOS are Apple Books and BlueFire Reader. I tried also FBReader, BookReader, MapleRead, GoodReader. They just aren't there yet.

islandmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
The time when this matters most to me is when traveling or before long flights. I agree it’s super annoying - and considering the size of ebooks it seems silly for Apple to handle them in this fashion.

But my workaround is to ensure all books I want to read are downloaded into the Books app and then set the iPad to airplane mode. I realize this isn’t ideal for everyone but it prevents the books from being removed.

I hope this helps. If you find a better way I’m keen to hear!

excelsior.ink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
And I have plenty of free space, 100 out of 120 GB free, my ebooks are about 8 GB. Apple Books keep offloading them to the iCloud.

Reactions: AccenT

islandmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
Yeah it happens even in my M1 12.9 500GB with 300 free. I’m assuming it’s just following the same rules as iCloud Drive similar to how files and folders often are cloud only unless told otherwise.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Hmm… In my experience, you can use Books WITHOUT iCloud Drive, and keep everything on your device.

Here are the options in iOS 15.4.1.

On the iPad, under Settings, under Books, there is an option to turn OFF iCloud Drive.​

Plus, under Settings, Your Name, iCloud, there are options to turn off synching for Books.​

First step. Since you already iCloud set up, first download each of your items to your iPad, then, turn off iCloud Drive for Books. Thereafter, download books from WITHIN the Books app, and they'll always be on your iPad and you won't ever need a cloud connection!

To back up your collection, connect to your Mac and sync your contents. After doing that, you should see them all in Books on the Mac.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
What happens AFTER you turn OFF the Books iCloud synching in BOTH places?

Especially, what happens after you download a new ebook from within Books? There are freebies, so it won't cost you anything. Alternatively, find a free ebook on Project Gutenberg or Internet Archive and select the ePub download option and pick Books as the destination…

It shouldn't sync via iCloud and it will be on your device. No downloading required if your WiFi or cell are off.

wills11

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
It's kind of amazing Apple hasn't fixed this; it's been a consistent complaint for years.

The iPad is a great reading device—but no one wants an e-reader which randomly deletes the books one's reading without any warning, so that one only finds out the book isn't there when one has no internet connection.

iCloud is bizarre—every other premium cloud storage service has selective sync. How hard can it be to allow customers to specify what they want kept offline?

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Some time ago, I settled on a combination of Calibre and MapleRead for my eBook storage and reading solution.

I travel a lot, and did not want the prospect of a book I was preparing to read magically disappearing. That is not how things should work. With the combo I currently have, I am in full control of my eBooks, and I decide what gets onto the iPad and where it is stored.

It might not be the user-friendliest solution - Calibre does require some work to get used to, but it is brilliant, and I have tried all the major eBook reader apps and settled on MapleRead because it does what I need, has powerful search functions and just works.

I too was initially a user of Apple Books until I got fed up with it randomly offloading stuff. I also used Marvin (which I happily paid for) for a couple of years, but that is abandoned now; MapleRead however, reads all sorts of formats, which is another reason I settled on it.

Reactions: AccenT

wills11

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Some time ago, I settled on a combination of Calibre and MapleRead for my eBook storage and reading solution.

I travel a lot, and did not want the prospect of a book I was preparing to read magically disappearing. That is not how things should work. With the combo I currently have, I am in full control of my eBooks, and I decide what gets onto the iPad and where it is stored.

It might not be the user-friendliest solution - Calibre does require some work to get used to, but it is brilliant, and I have tried all the major eBook reader apps and settled on MapleRead because it does what I need, has powerful search functions and just works.

I too was initially a user of Apple Books until I got fed up with it randomly offloading stuff. I also used Marvin (which I happily paid for) for a couple of years, but that is abandoned now; MapleRead however, reads all sorts of formats, which is another reason I settled on it.
I, too, love Calibre—as a library maintenance and metadata tool—but found using it as a server, at the time with Marvin, was too complex and required too much time-consuming customization and bug-fixing. I did try MapleRead at one point, but only very briefly—the lack of a MacOS app was a problem for me (although an M1/M2 Mac might solve that?).

As a broader point, it's odd that Apple's Books app sucks so much.

I have beta iPadOS 16.1 (20B79), and while there are some great things in it—ability to change line spacing, paper types, etc.—there are way too many shortcomings: no ability to set margins, two taps now required to access TOC, etc.

Worst of all: I often read my ebooks with the iPad in upside-down portrait mode, both because this allows my case to be propped up at the optimal angle, and so that I can charge the iPad while reading. But the last beta, for no discernible reason, took away my ability to do so! Hope this will be ironed out in today's release.

Maybe someone else knows why Apple doesn't invest more in its Books app—it would seem like even a relatively small investment would help them—not just to avoid embarrassment, but with any luck to sell more from their store.

Anyhow, thanks for the MapleRead suggestion—maybe I'll try it again. The versioning is a little complicated—if I download CX (the only free version), will it at least give me a good sense of how the app looks/works?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Maybe someone else knows why Apple doesn't invest more in its Books app—it would seem like even a relatively small investment would help them—not just to avoid embarrassment, but with any luck to sell more from their store.

For corporations, it's usually safe to assume it's based on return on investment. I don't think the current state the Books app actually matter for majority of their customers to make much of a difference in their ebook sales.

There's a crap ton of bugs and features they need to focus fixing on iOS/iPadOS itself to be paying much attention to apps that don't have as big of an audience.

excelsior.ink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
I have purchased a lot of reading apps for iPad over the time: Bluefire Reader, Marvin SxS+3, GoodReader, MappleRead CE+SE, FBReader, but the problem is I need the book library to be in sync with my MacBook Pro.

wills11

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
I have purchased a lot of reading apps for iPad over the time: Bluefire Reader, Marvin SxS+3, GoodReader, MappleRead CE+SE, FBReader, but the problem is I need the book library to be in sync with my MacBook Pro.
Exactly. One of my main issues is that I like to read on my iMac or MBP, both of which are Intel (and thus won't run iOS apps). If I can't sync notes between Macs and iPads, it's a drag. I never had this issue until I recently bought a second iPad for reading—a Mini—but mistakenly got it with only 64 GB of storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.