Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Let me lay out an example. Messy breakup, ex partner text you, you start to text back but decide it would be better on a clear head. Now ex partner knows you read the text but doesnt know why your ignoring it.

In that case I would type one character, put the phone back in my pocket, and go about doing whatever it was I was doing while imagining them getting more and more frustrated looking at the dots waiting for my response. ;)

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Hmmm, nevermind. Seems to only work sometimes on my 5s. I've uninstalled it for now.

Weird, I'd always thought it works fine, at least on my iPhone 5. Try to contact the dev, he was actually very quick to update his tweak for iOS 7 in the first place.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Yes, there are certain situations when this function can be troublesome. Just like when we disable read receipts for a purpose. It's the same sort of thing.

I would've thought apple would have considered this. But there are many seemingly simple things Apple either overlooks or chooses not to pursue.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Come on guys. If someone else knows what you are doing regardless of where you are that can be considered an invasion of privacy. I'm sure we are all capable of comprehending that.

Most of us, myself included just don't care.

Let me lay out an example. Messy breakup, ex partner text you, you start to text back but decide it would be better on a clear head. Now ex partner knows you read the text but doesnt know why your ignoring it. Same could be used for a co-worker, boss, family member, etc.

That's why my suggestion was to make absolutely sure you are ready to text prior to typing.

You already know if it was delivered. My advice has always been, never use email text messaging as a substitute for direct communication. The problem isnt the dots, the problem is you cant block imessage only. Messy breakup would have blocked imessage and sms.

----------

Yes, there are certain situations when this function can be troublesome. Just like when we disable read receipts for a purpose. It's the same sort of thing.

I would've thought apple would have considered this. But there are many seemingly simple things Apple either overlooks or chooses not to pursue.

I always disable read receipts.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Since there is no "legal way to prove" the dots correlate with typing a message, if it ever comes up, you can say "iPhone screwed up again". Didn't see message until morning.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I have also been in situations where I have been affected by this and want to disable the dots with a setting the same way we can disable the read receipts. I am not interested in stoping to use iMessage so the "change to SMS" is just a workaround, not a solution.

I suggest everybody that want this to be changed to send feedback to Apple about it:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Remember that this is just a user forum so it doesn't help to just post here about a problem.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Come on guys. If someone else knows what you are doing regardless of where you are that can be considered an invasion of privacy. I'm sure we are all capable of comprehending that.

Most of us, myself included just don't care.

Let me lay out an example. Messy breakup, ex partner text you, you start to text back but decide it would be better on a clear head. Now ex partner knows you read the text but doesnt know why your ignoring it. Same could be used for a co-worker, boss, family member, etc.

That's why my suggestion was to make absolutely sure you are ready to text prior to typing.

Eh I don't care. I like the read receipts because when I don't have time to respond, I can just swipe a text on the lockscreen to go messages app and it will say read to the other person letting them know I actually saw it and aren't ignoring them.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I have also been in situations where I have been affected by this and want to disable the dots with a setting the same way we can disable the read receipts. I am not interested in stoping to use iMessage so the "change to SMS" is just a workaround, not a solution.

I suggest everybody that want this to be changed to send feedback to Apple about it:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Remember that this is just a user forum so it doesn't help to just post here about a problem.

Or, disable imessage and use SMS.

Additionally along with disabling the dots, there could be an option to not to send to imessage users who are currently in "privacy mode".

The whole point of imessage is instant real time communication. If instant real time communication is not agreed to simultaneously by both parties, there should be an option to prevent messages between said parties.

Come to think of it, if one is not interested in using imessage as intended: Use email instead, or as stated turn imessage off. Or, block the number.

Last edited:

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Hi, I am bumping this thread to see if iOS 8 provides a solution to the original issue. Does anybody know? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.