Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ash123456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
I have a little challenge for someone much smarter than me.
I want to uninstall or disable the wifi hardware on my Macbook Pro 16" 2019, running Catalina 10.15.6

My previous method in prior versions of OS on my old 2014 MBP was to delete the IO80211....kext files using Terminal in recovery mode.
It seems either:

a. New macbook pro (16" 2019) now has different wifi hardware, and uses a different .kext driver (if so which one, can you help?)
or
b. Catalina 10.15.6 does not use the same directory for storing the drivers (previously System/Library/Extensions)

I have tested by deleting all the obvious .kext files, one-by-one as well as all at once, but the wifi continues working just fine.

Thanks in advance for suggesting alternatives like screentime, turning wifi off, setting access in admin accounts etc., but none of these are appropriate for this task. Uninstalling/disabling the wifi hardware is my only motive here. BUT, in a way that in future, it can be re-installed/enabled, (using kextbeast for example as I have done on my previous laptop - and this new one during testing to make sure that re-installation process worked - it does)

Perhaps there is another file or app somewhere in the system that could be removed in order to achieve the same goal?
p.s. it is ok if bluetooth is also disabled as a side effect. (in case new hardware is combo wifi/bluetooth).

I look forward to any suggestions or help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.