Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
This is really simple but I can't work it out. I want to overlay black type on an image but I want to have the type overlaying a tint of the image inside the type bounding box.

In photoshop I'd just marquee the area and fade it with curves. But I can't get my brain around this in InDesign.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
dogbone said:
This is really simple but I can't work it out. I want to overlay black type on an image but I want to have the type overlaying a tint of the image inside the type bounding box.

In photoshop I'd just marquee the area and fade it with curves. But I can't get my brain around this in InDesign.

Do you mean like a clipping mask?:eek:

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
No I mean

Attachments

• _DSC0053.jpg
    _DSC0053.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 153

aboutthat

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
Washington, DC
Just make yourself a white square, put it where you need, and go to the transparency menu and adjust it from there. I think that should work...

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Thanks, I tried that but when using the type box the transparency affects the type as well as the background.

I've tried selecting with the solid or open arrow it makes no difference. I could have a separate box underneath the type but this seems a bit clumsy for such a ubiquitous technique.

Surely this can be done with a single type box?

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Two boxes

Sorry, two boxes is the way to go. One transparent below, and one text box above. I use that technique all the time. To make it look even nicer, feather the edges of the white box and apply the transparency, that way you don't have that hard edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.