Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evolvian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2021
MacBook Pro 15in 2016

macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

Just recently, within the last month, my MacBook has been getting EXTREME lag.. Like lag 5-10sec lag when im just watching a video stream and typing, with Discord running in the background. I never had this issue until recently, and in the past ive done much larger loads of programs running and multi-tasking on the OS. It seriously has me thinking something was lost by updating.

Is there a way to downgrade OS on MacBooks, while preserving a partitioned Bootcamp drive (Win 10)? This just seems out of the ballpark for 5 year old hardware, its just so slow and the update didn't bring much of anything new for me..

I'm seriously pissed, but I am hoping there is a solution.. I think downgrading to a pas MacOS will remedy the problem, but I dont know where to start. Would seriously LOVE some guidance here, im not the most computer-savvy.

TYIA!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
As your version of Big Sur is an older version, your issue might be fixed (or improved) by updating to current 11.5.2...
Updating is simple through the Software Update pane in your System Preferences.
If that update does not help, THEN pursue going to back to an older system.

Evolvian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2021
As your version of Big Sur is an older version, your issue might be fixed (or improved) by updating to current 11.5.2...
Thank you for the knowledge, I will try this.

Evolvian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2021
Upon updating I am still having the same issue... Can someone inform me of how to downgrade while presserving a Bootcamp partition???

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Looks like downgrading got a bit more difficult on Big Sur (i beleive we can no longer do it with the help of Recovery Mode -> Restore from Time Machine).
There could be a way to reinstall previous OS version, if you're lucky. Try turning on your mac while pressing
"Cmd + Option + Shift + R" - boots to the Internet Recovery Mode version that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available
or "Cmd + Option + R" - boots to the newest compatible Internet Recovery Mode
If everything's fine, you'll get to a Recovery mode of previous OS (though it's hard to tell how far back it can take you). From there you can try to reinstall the system on a partition where your current OS is located and Bootcamp should not be affected as it's a separate partition.
Let me know if it helps)
p.s. make sure you have a backup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.