Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

User Name jim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Hello. I have the 3g classic(160GB) and it is on firmware 2.0.4. I want to put it back to 2.0.2. I can put the ipod in dfu mode. And I have the files iPod_35.2.0.2.ipsw and iPod_35.2.0.2.ipsw.signature. These are fresh files straight from apple. Is there any way I can downgrade?

pintsizemacman

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
ohio
First, you're gonna need the older version of the software...if your iPod was delivered with the desired older software already installed, you p'bly [o]don't[/i] have a copy. If you updated the iPod to the version you're trying to go back to, you p'bly do have the software, in a folder named "iPod Software Updates" (sorry, don't recall where that's located on Windows).

You'll need two files: one is the actual software (named something like "iPod_18.1.0.1.ipsw") and another is a verification file (named something like "iPod_18.1.0.1.ipsw.signature"). With both of those in the "iPod Software Updates" folder, do this:
1) unplug from the internet
2) fire up iTunes, connect the iPod
3) select Restore from iPod's Summary pane in iTunes window
4) iTunes will offer to use the old software; yes yes
5) let iPod reboot after the Restore, while still connected to computer/iTunes; if it takes longer than 10 minutes you may have to force an iPod restart (or more drastic measures).

Since Restore wipes everything out, make sure you save important stuff from your iPod before downgrading!:)

csjo00

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Arkansas
Are you having problems on the new firmware too?

I just updated mine, and now I can't seem to sync my music.. It'll get about halfway done and then it'll get thrown into restore mode and I have to restore it.. :|

User Name jim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Are you having problems on the new firmware too?

I just updated mine, and now I can't seem to sync my music.. It'll get about halfway done and then it'll get thrown into restore mode and I have to restore it.. :|
For me the firmware works fine, but the notes exploit doesn't seem to work on it.

User Name jim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
I figured out how to downgrade. My ipod is back on 2.0.2. Feel free to close this thread.

User Name jim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Well since this thread has not been closed yet l guess i'll mention that I just installed a nds rom instead of firmware on my ipod. While this obviously renders the ipod unusable, I thought it was worth noting.

EDIT: I have since tried installing 2.0.1 which is a 2g classic firmware. itunes was able to recognize the ipod as having 2.0.1 installed on it but the ipod was not able to initialize properly and was stuck in recovery mode so I upgraded back to 2.0.2.

Declino

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Pc

First, you're gonna need the older version of the software...if your iPod was delivered with the desired older software already installed, you p'bly [o]don't[/i] have a copy. If you updated the iPod to the version you're trying to go back to, you p'bly do have the software, in a folder named "iPod Software Updates" (sorry, don't recall where that's located on Windows).

You'll need two files: one is the actual software (named something like "iPod_18.1.0.1.ipsw") and another is a verification file (named something like "iPod_18.1.0.1.ipsw.signature"). With both of those in the "iPod Software Updates" folder, do this:
1) unplug from the internet
2) fire up iTunes, connect the iPod
3) select Restore from iPod's Summary pane in iTunes window
4) iTunes will offer to use the old software; yes yes
5) let iPod reboot after the Restore, while still connected to computer/iTunes; if it takes longer than 10 minutes you may have to force an iPod restart (or more drastic measures).

Since Restore wipes everything out, make sure you save important stuff from your iPod before downgrading!:)

pc's "ipod software update" folder: Documents and Settings\User\Datos de programa\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

Diego1995

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2017
I figured out how to downgrade. My ipod is back on 2.0.2. Feel free to close this thread.
Where did you get the files? I have problems with version 2.0.4, my ipod is not syncing well. I want to downgrade to see if that's the problem.

Diego1995

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2017
How did you find the way?
[doublepost=1488984467][/doublepost]
Pc

pc's "ipod software update" folder: Documents and Settings\User\Datos de programa\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates
How do you do it in PC? Where do I find those 2 files?
[doublepost=1488984766][/doublepost]
Hello. I have the 3g classic(160GB) and it is on firmware 2.0.4. I want to put it back to 2.0.2. I can put the ipod in dfu mode. And I have the files iPod_35.2.0.2.ipsw and iPod_35.2.0.2.ipsw.signature. These are fresh files straight from apple. Is there any way I can downgrade?
Where can I find exactly those files? I want to downgrade from 2.0.4 to 2.0.2.

agent 409

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2017
Phoenix
All, I hate to resurrect this thread. I am in a bit of a unique situation and could use some help. I drive a 2012 GM vehicle and I cannot get my iPod classic to work so that I have full control on my vehicle infotainment screen. My car does not have bluetooth so that's not an option here. I want to see my full iPod library on the screen. To no avail, even with a brand new replacement radio from the dealer...it still won't work. I tried a friends super old iPod and got it to work but the capacity was a smaller one. My assumption at this point is that it is a simple software handshake issue between the iPod and the car. I would love to be able to downgrade my iPod to a software version closer to 2012 as I believe this might work.

my iPod Classic currently has the latest update (2.0.4) and it's a 2009 iPod model # MC297LL.

So far what I have tried is:
  • Going into my mac at path user/library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates to delete the newest software versions. Once I do that and then go into iTunes to restore the iPod it ALWAYS wants to check for an update and will only restore the iPod to the latest version. I even shut off the internet connection and the "always check for software updates" while in preferences.
  • I also tried using disk utility to erase the iPod however it just removed all the songs and left the OS in tact with the current software version.
  • I tried downloading a 2014 iTunes version for OS X and I couldn't even get it to install. I figured the old iTunes version would allow me to restore to an old software version. I got an error that said the iTunes library file was created by a newer version of iTunes and it stopped me. Is it OK to delete that file and proceed maybe?

Is there anything else i'm missing here? Is there a way to restore the iPod back to the original software version without using iTunes then block it from rechecking the internet for the latest software thus being able to sync and add further songs without updating it in the future?

All help is appreciated!

Last edited:

moscontheroad

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
May I have a copy of those files please, been looking for them for quite a while without any luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.