Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainyday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Wanna download and install 10.13.0 or even 10.13.1 on my formatted mac. Not have anyone on purchased page. Everything except 10.13.2 seems ok ...

Please let me know if it is possible.

Tried Charles proxy and downloaded old version of most of apps successfully. Unfortunately, macOS Sierra and High Sierra used a different way so I can't apply that trick on them.

I'm in a very urgent situation. Any quick help would be so appreciated.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Current version of HighSierra is 10.13.2 - which is exactly what you would get downloading through the App Store.
Is there any particular reason you need the original release version? (10.13.0)

The only way that I am aware to get 10.3.0 full install would be to get that through a torrent somewhere.
And, the version that you think you get through a torrent may not necessarily be what you actually receive (when the torrent gets updated, but not the details about the download), and you did mention that you want a "safe" download, which also wouldn't be a primary concern with a torrent download :D

Reactions: Rainyday

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Why not 10.13.2?

You can try and contact Apple and see if they'll setup a special download for you. Sometimes they will for old software they no longer provide, like Final Cut 7 or whatnot

Rainyday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Current version of HighSierra is 10.13.2 - which is exactly what you would get downloading through the App Store.
Is there any particular reason you need the original release version? (10.13.0)

The only way that I am aware to get 10.3.0 full install would be to get that through a torrent somewhere.
And, the version that you think you get through a torrent may not necessarily be what you actually receive (when the torrent gets updated, but not the details about the download), and you did mention that you want a "safe" download, which also wouldn't be a primary concern with a torrent download :D

Why not 10.13.2?

You can try and contact Apple and see if they'll setup a special download for you. Sometimes they will for old software they no longer provide, like Final Cut 7 or whatnot
Thanks for advice.

Have some not easy to solve problems with some apps.
I've used 10.13 for awhile without any problem. So decided to downgrade to 10.13. 0/1

Fresh install, diagnostics and onyx couldn't help me.

Please let me know if someone else has another solution which may be applied a little be quicker than calling Apple.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Maybe just a simple change with how you use your apps?
Care to say which apps, and an example of a "not easy to solve problem" which you hope might be solved by downgrading to 10.13.0 ?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The folks on that thread had mostly upgraded to Sierra/High Sierra, using the dosdude patcher on unsupported Macs.
Is that also true for you?

Have you tried the NVRAM reset? (Restart, holding Option-Command-p-r. You will hear a boot chime. Keep holding the same 4 keys until you hear the boot chime two more times, then release the keys to allow a normal boot. Be sure to follow up by selecting your boot drive in your Startup Disk pref pane)

THEN, try the cache clearing in OnyX, this DOES work for some.

Finally, if nothing yet has helped, reinstall macOS (same 10.13.2) from a USB bootable installer. I have an external USB enclosure with a spare SSD, which has a dedicated partition that I made for the latest 10.13.2 installer. Much faster to reload than a flash drive, or if you have to wait for the full 5 GB download through the recovery system :cool:

Rainyday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
The folks on that thread had mostly upgraded to Sierra/High Sierra, using the dosdude patcher on unsupported Macs.
Is that also true for you?

Have you tried the NVRAM reset? (Restart, holding Option-Command-p-r. You will hear a boot chime. Keep holding the same 4 keys until you hear the boot chime two more times, then release the keys to allow a normal boot. Be sure to follow up by selecting your boot drive in your Startup Disk pref pane)

THEN, try the cache clearing in OnyX, this DOES work for some.

Finally, if nothing yet has helped, reinstall macOS (same 10.13.2) from a USB bootable installer. I have an external USB enclosure with a spare SSD, which has a dedicated partition that I made for the latest 10.13.2 installer. Much faster to reload than a flash drive, or if you have to wait for the full 5 GB download through the recovery system :cool:

No, as I said before 10.13.1 worked properly on my MBP.

NVRAM reseted onyx automation done, still no success.

Good recommendation. Apple live chat agent told me same thing I mean installing a fresh copy using Recovery (cmd+R) mode always installs a vanilla version. Then I can update using stand alone 10.13.1 dmg file.

Aprove that?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your understanding is not quite accurate.
Downloading the macOS installer from the Recovery system will give you whatever is the latest version of the system that you have installed, or the newest version that is natively supported by your Mac.
The download that you can expect will give you a full download for macOS 10.13.2 - the current version.
The ONLY way to revert to 10.13.0 is to find that original release version somewhere. The recovery system does not do that.

(You are also assuming that reverting to an older version will fix your problem. )

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Where can I order the OS X media for 10.13, like a DVD in a physical box, or download the image file from Apple? The Apple Website directs me to the App Store, and the App Store is refusing to allow the download. I need a way to get the ISO image so that I can copy it to a bootable disk without going through an existing OS X installation.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What do you mean by "refusing to allow the download"?
Do you get an error message of some kind (what is that message?), or simply that nothing at all happens when you click on the download button? The download may take a couple of minutes to begin downloading, and appear that nothing is happening. Click on Download, then give it some time. It is more than 5 GB, so can take 30 minutes or more - be patient :D
Finally, maybe you can't download High Sierra, because your Mac is too old to support installing the current system. It won't allow a download.
(Apple has not offered physical media/DVD/flash drive for at least 5 years (other than the old Snow Leopard DVD, which is still available from Apple :D ). OS X, and now macOS is only available as downloads through the App Store.

Finally - when you download the macOS installer app, it will launch automatically when the download is complete. All you need to do is wait for the installer window to open, then Quit the installer. THEN, you will have your copy of the installer, which will be in your Applications folder. You can use that to make a bootable installer. I would suggest that when you have the installer, that you copy that to another disk, where you can keep it safe.
(copying the app to a bootable disk will NOT work, unless you follow the proper steps to make it bootable.
Search for "make a bootable High Sierra installer USB" will find you several links to methods to make that bootable installer that you need.

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
arogge wrote:
"Where can I order the OS X media for 10.13, like a DVD in a physical box, or download the image file from Apple?"

Apple DOES NOT SELL "hard media" for High Sierra.
It's only available via downloading.

That said, once you have the High Sierra installer app (it normally downloads to your applications folder), you can use the free app "Boot Buddy" to create a bootable USB flash drive installer.
I recommend a 16gb flash drive (8gb might work, I haven't tried it).
You could also use a 16gb SD card (you'll need a card reader).

You MUST create a flash drive installer like this on a Mac.
It CANNOT BE DONE on a PC.

"I need a way to get the ISO image so that I can copy it to a bootable disk without going through an existing OS X installation."

You're not going to find this through any "official" Apple source.
That means you'll have to go through (cough... choke) "unofficial" means.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware

You MUST create a flash drive installer like this on a Mac.
It CANNOT BE DONE on a PC.

"I need a way to get the ISO image so that I can copy it to a bootable disk without going through an existing OS X installation."

You're not going to find this through any "official" Apple source.
That means you'll have to go through (cough... choke) "unofficial" means.
Actually, Apple does provide the steps to create a bootable installer (when you have downloaded the installer app)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Still waiting for @arogge - there may be some other issue there that won't allow a download of the current macOS installer.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
The issue here isn't about creating a bootable USB installer thumb drive. @arogge's specific issue is that he seeks the original 10.13.0 installer app which is no longer available from the App Store; if you download the standalone High Sierra installer from the App Store, you will get 10.13.2. He is running 10.13.2 and wishes to downgrade to 10.13.1.

This is a good example of why one should download the original x.x.0 installer file and keep it in a safe place. The intermediate and various combo updaters are easy enough to find in the downloads section of Apple's support website.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It sounds like arogge above is trying to create a bootable flash drive of the OS installer while using a computer -other than- a Mac (read the last line of his post above carefully).

That's why he's asking for an "ISO version" that could presumably be copied to a flashdrive, probably while using Windows.

That would also indicate why the App Store won't let him download anything (he's NOT using a Mac by which to do so...)

In other words, he can't get what he's looking for from Apple.
He -might- be able to find it elsewhere.... ;)

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
In other words, he can't get what he's looking for from Apple.
He -might- be able to find it elsewhere.... ;)
No need to be coy about it, DeltaMac explicitly mentioned torrent downloads in Post #2 and how those might not be described as safe downloads. In Post #4, the OP clearly acknowledges having seen the torrent comment.

There might be some sellers at eBay, Etsy, etc. who offer macOS on a USB stick. Again, the safety of such products would not be guaranteed like a direct download from Apple.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
What do you mean by "refusing to allow the download"?
Do you get an error message of some kind (what is that message?)

The App Store insists that OS X 10.8 be installed on the computer, and I don't have that. I don't want an application for an installer that relies on an existing OS X installation. I want the ISO image so that I can copy the image to a bootable disk, or the physical media that can boot the computer and do a full installation of OS X without touching the existing OS X installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.