Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
In the past, I would add the next macOS version to my Apple ID within the App Store, to allow me to use/install a specific macOS version at a future date. However, now macOS is part of the system's Software Updates. How can I download macOS Big Sur, not install, and keep for a future date?

I would prefer to not download it, and just be able to access it from the App Store in the future, however I don't think this can be done. Unless somebody knows a way?

I have a MBP16 running Catalina, and everything works great. I do not want to upgrade at this time. And my concern is Monterey will be released, and then I won't be able to get Big Sur again, should I want to upgrade in the future.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Judging by how Apple's done it in the past you'll be able to download Big Sur at any time in the future through Apple

If you want to download it now and not install it, just download it via the Software Update panel in System Preferences. Once it's downloaded it'll open the install application; Just quit it and you'll stay on Catalina but have Big Sur ready to go

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Just be aware if you download it now and wait quite a while to install. You may have to manually fiddle with the date of the computer to get it to install. It's a nuisance but a minor one to bypass. In case you get some error that it's corrupt or can't be verified.

Anyway's it's never a bad idea to keep a downloaded copy of the installer. I keep a wide range of macOS versions. They're also preloaded on a USB Flash drive. Setup in multiple partitions to boot into a wide range of macOS installers.

Reactions: beansbaxter

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
Judging by how Apple's done it in the past you'll be able to download Big Sur at any time in the future through Apple
I had an issue with this in the past, because the hardware was eligible for the most recent version of macOS, but I wanted a previous version. And Apple Support at the time told me I could not get the older version unless I had gotten it from the App Store before it was removed/replaced with the newest version. Ever since then, I always make sure I have a download before the newest macOS release goes live.
If you want to download it now and not install it, just download it via the Software Update panel in System Preferences. Once it's downloaded it'll open the install application; Just quit it and you'll stay on Catalina but have Big Sur ready to go
Good to hear this. I will give this a go!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I had an issue with this in the past, because the hardware was eligible for the most recent version of macOS, but I wanted a previous version. And Apple Support at the time told me I could not get the older version unless I had gotten it from the App Store before it was removed/replaced with the newest version. Ever since then, I always make sure I have a download before the newest macOS release goes live.
This was true for a somewhat brief window of time. I think it may still be the case for releases prior to El Capitan that they're not accessible any other way. But at this point those links in the Apple page ought to work for anyone regardless if it's been assigned to your account previously or not. However, you can't use the App Store pages to download older versions than the OS you're running which can be somewhat annoying

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
In the past, I would add the next macOS version to my Apple ID within the App Store, to allow me to use/install a specific macOS version at a future date. However, now macOS is part of the system's Software Updates. How can I download macOS Big Sur, not install, and keep for a future date?
Big Sur was up until recently a moving target. Now that 11.6 is out, that is probably the last version we will see. A shame, too... it's remarkably immature for being probably the last version. I'll have to make a decision next year about what to do when support for Catalina ends.

You can get the 11.6 installer here: https://osxdaily.com/2021/09/13/macos-big-sur-11-6-update-available/

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
Seems to me that Apple is not offering BigSur as a download, but as an update only.
Correct. I downloaded the update and archived it away for future use.

An update is fine. In the future, you can always do a hardware restore to your current OS on the computer, or do the manual update to Big Sur, followed by another hardware restore to the new Big Sur OS on the computer. Then you are fresh and clean moving forward, without having to get the latest macOS.

Reactions: MBAir2010

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
An update is fine. In the future, you can always do a hardware restore to your current OS on the computer, or do the manual update to Big Sur, followed by another hardware restore to the new Big Sur OS on the computer. Then you are fresh and clean moving forward, without having to get the latest macOS.
You can use that "update" to create a standalone bootable installer :) - There's still a createinstallmedia program inside its resource files

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I'm going from Catalina to Big Sur, hopefully on a MacBook Air 2010.
after I find a patcher here and I am downloading the OS X_Daily version now.
or go back to Mojave

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'm trying to create a bootable USB installer for Big Sur and it doesn't seem to want to work.

Terminal gives me the error below.

/Applications/Install macOS Big Sur.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application.

The weird thing is that the installer app is only 28.3MB, not the 12.6GB listed in the MacApp Store. Incidentally, the Catalina installer I have is also similarly small in size. My Mojave and High Sierra installers are in the 6GB range as expected.

Anyone know where I can get a proper installer for Big Sur? Thanks.

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Did you go to the Mac App Store and search for macOS Big Sur? I just downloaded the full install image yesterday.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Did you go to the Mac App Store and search for macOS Big Sur? I just downloaded the full install image yesterday.
Yes. The Apple support page redirects to the MacAppStore listing for Big Sur. Did some more digging and was told about a website called MrMacintosh. Turns out the Download is a “stub” installer.

I just downloaded the package from MrMacinstosh and it was able to unpackaged into the 12GB full installer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.