Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technologx

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
USA
I have a 1TB HDD I've already partitioned it to be both 500GB. The main partition has macOS Sierra installed and the other partition I want to install OS X Yosemite. The Yosemite update I have is a pkg file and when I try to open it it won't allow me because I'm not running 10.10. So what do I need to do to be able to install Yosemite on the partition?

Technologx

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
USA
It didn't work it's asking for ASObjC Runner.app and it won't work with a pkg file

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I have a 1TB HDD I've already partitioned it to be both 500GB. The main partition has macOS Sierra installed and the other partition I want to install OS X Yosemite. The Yosemite update I have is a pkg file and when I try to open it it won't allow me because I'm not running 10.10. So what do I need to do to be able to install Yosemite on the partition?
You need the full Yosemite installer (Install OS X Yosemite.app) to do a install of Yosemite on you other partition.

The Yosemite updater can not do a full install. As you have already encountered the Yosemite updater pkg can't launch without Yosemite is already installed since it only contains the files to "update" an existing Yosemite installation.

BTW, DiskMakerX also require the "Install OS X Yosemite.app" to create a bootable USB installer.

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
I used Mavericks I can't find the Install OS X Yosemite app
You can get the 'Install OS X Yosemite.app' from the App Store for free, even when using macOS Sierra (It will give you a warning saying that the version you are downloading is older then the version installed, just click Download Anyway or something similar to that.)

Technologx

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
USA
You can get the 'Install OS X Yosemite.app' from the App Store for free, even when using macOS Sierra (It will give you a warning saying that the version you are downloading is older then the version installed, just click Download Anyway or something similar to that.)

I can't because the Mac AppStore is showing that I never even downloaded it when that was the place I downloaded it from when it 1st came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.