Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
California
Hi. I have a resume on PDF format. All I want to do is delete one line of text. How do I do that?

Sonoma 14.4.1

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
You can use the markup tool in Preview to draw a white box over the text you'd like to get rid of. I do it all the time!

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Here's a step by step on how to get there...
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 7.30.07 PM.png

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
You can use the markup tool in Preview to draw a white box over the text you'd like to get rid of. I do it all the time!
Good approach, my only concern is recruiters use tools that scan text in PDFs. So whilst visually it may not be visible. A tool could still pull the text out of the pdf.

Reactions: JonnyMacx86

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Good approach, my only concern is recruiters use tools that scan text in PDFs. So whilst visually it may not be visible. A tool could still pull the text out of the pdf.
I'm not sure that's what the text scanners are capable of but even if they were, just markup and print to PDF instead of saving. You can make anything a PDF from the print menu and it flattens the output file.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
You can make anything a PDF from the print menu and it flattens the output file.
Not in my experience.

As a test:
I printed this thread as PDF to Preview; annotated (obscured all your posts and pictures :)); printed to PDF and exited. The PDF is attached. Open the PDF in Preview; the obscured section appears blank; selected bits inside the obscured region; copy and paste into Text Edit and it is revealed.

Also used File Juicer to extract content from the PDF with obscured sections. The obscured text, photo and screenshots are extracted. https://filejuicer.com/filejuicer/

Here is my PDF:

Attachments

• How to edit PDF resume?.pdf
    905.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Wow folks, I sincerely apologize! I forgot the export step as it has been a while since I've done this.
You can redact in Preview -> Export to HEIC or another image format -> open new file in Preview -> Print to PDF. This might be a roundabout way of doing it, especially having now seen File Juicer, but it does work!

Reactions: gilby101

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
The easiest way would be to find someone with Adobe Creative Suite, which includes Acrobat DC, bring up the PDF in Acrobat, get into Edit mode, delete the line, and save. I just tried it, and it works fine. Note that this Acrobat isn't the free Acrobat reader.

Check to see whether Adobe has some kind of free trial.

The only problem you'd have is if the PDF is protected.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Hi. I have a resume on PDF format. All I want to do is delete one line of text. How do I do that?

Sonoma 14.4.1

I think Affinity Publisher and/or Designer, as well as Viva Designer, can edit PDFs - you can download trials and delete your line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.