Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kocoman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
How to enable osx mouse pointer trails like in Windows for Lion?

CodeCavalier

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
Just want a MORE VISIBLE POINTER

Take a look at Hotmouse in the Mac App Store.
Or take some more acid ;)
WHY?!?!?!?! I hate cursor trails... old people come into my work with them al the time, I find it so dizzying. Out of curiosity why do you like them?

I guess you just have to be a Windows convert to appreciate the value of being able find that little arrow floating around your screen. Or, maybe I'm just archaic and just can't learn enough GESTURES (though I've mastered some gestures that help my driving quite a bit.) I have 3 monitors and LOTS of screen real-estate. Now that I have a Mac and OS X w/o trails, I lose my mouse on all that space several times a day--frustrating. This never used to happen to me on Windows.

OmniDazzle, iCursor, Mouse Locator, Hotmouse, etc. all are overkill and missing the point. I don't want FIREBALLS or PIXIE DUST; and I don't want to press some weird keys to find my mouse (I dunno who thinks that's easy). I don't want foolish animations constantly blazing while I'm trying to type. And I don't want to have to take my hands off my computer for 30 seconds before I can activate my mouse finder.

I just want a more visible mouse pointer. Is that simple enough? Doesn't anybody offer anything like that for Mac?

Reactions: pnosko

adambrower

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
mouse trail digression

of course it's true that it would be trivial to add a mouse trail effect to any build of osx. i'm no programmer, but i'll bet i could have a go. that the Apples have never done so can mean that they are unaware that the effect exists in the Peecee world, or it can mean that they are aware of it but have disdained, in their majesty, to effect it. in any case, there are many little utilities which can help us to locate the cursor in osx, as has been pointed out, but it's also true that they are almost without exception bloated cycle hogs with garish UIs and too many "features." these observations together yield many insights into the philosophy both of the Apples and of their curiously glassy-eyed devotees.

it is permissible to express misgivings about osx and the software written for it, as you have done, but this must be done in a properly deferential tone and larded with professions of awe. go and sin no more.

pnosko

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
mouse trail digression

of course it's true that it would be trivial to add a mouse trail effect to any build of osx. i'm no programmer, but i'll bet i could have a go. that the Apples have never done so can mean that they are unaware that the effect exists in the Peecee world, or it can mean that they are aware of it but have disdained, in their majesty, to effect it. in any case, there are many little utilities which can help us to locate the cursor in osx, as has been pointed out, but it's also true that they are almost without exception bloated cycle hogs with garish UIs and too many "features." these observations together yield many insights into the philosophy both of the Apples and of their curiously glassy-eyed devotees.

it is permissible to express misgivings about osx and the software written for it, as you have done, but this must be done in a properly deferential tone and larded with professions of awe. go and sin no more.
[doublepost=1457018886][/doublepost]adambrower, I love your reply. I've been a Mac only since 2007, but still miss a few features over there that seem to be forbidden here. People that don't understand the need for a feature like this can't see outside their little comfort zone. My work form home zone has an iMac with 2nd display and a Windows laptop with a 2nd display. And my Macbook. Five screens for heavy software development where I can have and IDE, spreadsheet, documentation all with eye's reach. Sometimes you forget which screen is hiding your mouse pointer. Multiple keyboard and mice make it possible to grab the wrong one. Trails and radar on a control key press grab attention when it is really needed.
[doublepost=1457019134][/doublepost]
Just want a MORE VISIBLE POINTER
I just want a more visible mouse pointer.
Is that simple enough? Doesn't anybody offer anything like that for Mac?

I'm with you. Did you even find a reasonable solution?

DevDaddyNick

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2018
[doublepost=1457018886][/doublepost]adambrower, I love your reply. I've been a Mac only since 2007, but still miss a few features over there that seem to be forbidden here. People that don't understand the need for a feature like this can't see outside their little comfort zone. My work form home zone has an iMac with 2nd display and a Windows laptop with a 2nd display. And my Macbook. Five screens for heavy software development where I can have and IDE, spreadsheet, documentation all with eye's reach. Sometimes you forget which screen is hiding your mouse pointer. Multiple keyboard and mice make it possible to grab the wrong one. Trails and radar on a control key press grab attention when it is really needed.
[doublepost=1457019134][/doublepost]

I'm with you. Did you even find a reasonable solution?

It's been more than 6 years since this post originated. As far as I can tell, this still isn't a thing. Regardless of whether you've used Windows before or not, this is an obvious thing. I've got a Macbook Pro Retina with 3 external monitors, and I lose my mouse ALL. THE. TIME. Changing the size of the mouse pointer or adding a trail should be a basic feature of the operating system, and the fact that it's not is just sad.

For what it's worth, I just purchased Simple Mouse Locator for $0.99

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Changing the size of the mouse pointer
This is possible, in System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Cursor size. Furthermore, in OS X El Capitan Apple introduced a feature which auto-enlarges the pointer when you wiggle it, specifically to make it easier to find in multi-monitor setups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.