Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
I need to be able to convert files to RealVideo, and I've downloaded the free RealMedia 10 export plugin for OS X from the Real website. Unfortunately, whenever I try and I export a file as RealVideo, the export always gets to 100% but then says "Failed". The encoded file exists and is playable in RealPlayer, but while the video is always fine, there's never any audio.

If I use my Windows laptop to encode the same source file using the free RealProducer, it always works perfectly.

Any suggestions? It's a serious pain having to transfer files to the Windows machine in order to encode to RealVideo.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Solution

Realplayer now supports MPEG-4 video. Just encode using that and don't worry about using the Realmedia format anymore. This gives someone viewing the files to choose whatever player supports that open standard. Let the RealVideo die.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
There's an old Classic version of RealProducer, which might work. The codec might be old, though.

Discreet Cleaner or Sorenson Squeeze should work, but they're expensive.

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
BornAgainMac said:
Realplayer now supports MPEG-4 video. Just encode using that and don't worry about using the Realmedia format anymore

Not necessarily that simple, I'm afraid. The files need to be viewable at work, and trying to get our useless IT department to upgrade everyone's RealPlayer is going to be near-impossible (naturally, you need to be logged in as an admin to install new software).

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
From the real.com website:

Real Export Plug-in for Mac OS X
Compatible with 10.2 and 10.3. Not compatible with 10.4 Tiger.

http://www.realnetworks.com/products/realexport/index.html

At least that will probably answer your question as to why its not working. I guess there's no chance of getting your work to install Quicktime on their windows machines? You could try the flip4mac Windows Media Plugin and export in that format if Quicktime isn't an option. I assume all the work computers could play .wmv files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.