Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Hi, I recently noticed that my main Macbook is not encrypted. I just backed it up to a Seagate External Hard Drive that functions as Time Machine Backup and where I also store media. This device is not encrypted either. Is it possible to encrypt the Macbook without losing data, and can I encrypt the External Drive as well with File Vault? I probably will need to access that external drive from a Windows computer, so what's the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 10.10.16 AM.png

Just go to this screen in System Preferences and turn on Filevault for your internal drive.

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 10.11.22 AM.png

Then go to this Time Machine in System Preferences and under "select disk" check the encrypt box. Be warned this last process can take a long time, so just let it run.

Only thing is, if you encrypt this external drive, you Windows machine will not be able to access it.

You make two partitions on the external. One encrypted for your Time Machine backup, then another not encrypted to be accessed by Windows.

Reactions: chinchillas

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
View attachment 945981

Just go to this screen in System Preferences and turn on Filevault for your internal drive.

View attachment 945982

Then go to this Time Machine in System Preferences and under "select disk" check the encrypt box. Be warned this last process can take a long time, so just let it run.

Only thing is, if you encrypt this external drive, you Windows machine will not be able to access it.

You make two partitions on the external. One encrypted for your Time Machine backup, then another not encrypted to be accessed by Windows.
Thanks! Can I encrypt the external drive with a different method so it can be read by Windows?

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Thanks. I just encrypted the macbook, but I think I'll get an external drive only for time machine that will go encrypted and keep the multimedia on this EHD unencrypted. ?

Reactions: Weaselboy

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Hey, I’m in the process of copying a 5 tb ehd with Time Machine to a new 5 tb ehd for the purpose of encrypting one of them, but what a nightmare. First, I’m deleting super old time machine backups and it’s taking AGES. Then copying all to the new drive should take a day! Is there a way to speed up Time machine deletion? I have backups from 2018. Why does this system hog such unnecessary stuff? Wouldn’t it be enough to have 5 latest backups and the older ones automatically erased?

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Is there a way to speed up Time machine deletion? I have backups from 2018. Why does this system hog such unnecessary stuff? Wouldn’t it be enough to have 5 latest backups and the older ones automatically erased?
Because that's not how Time Machine works. Also, I sincerely hope you're not deleting those old backups using Finder because if so you might as well scrap them at this point and start all over. The one and only way to delete old Time Machine backups is tmutil. Every other way will break the chain and destroy the structural integrity of your backup.

Reactions: LuisN

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Because that's not how Time Machine works. Also, I sincerely hope you're not deleting those old backups using Finder because if so you might as well scrap them at this point and start all over. The one and only way to delete old Time Machine backups is tmutil. Every other way will break the chain and destroy the structural integrity of your backup.

If what you say happens to old backups if deleted, I don't know why apple would recommend this method:
Old backups

Reactions: mj_

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
If anyone cares, copying a 5tb EHD to a similar one via USB took me 2 days (in intervals). I tried terminal but the fastest way was folder by folder using TeraCopy, which takes about 4 seconds less than terminal. Now both drives are encrypted and working fine ?.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I was unaware that deleting directly via Finder is now officially supported.
Me too. But note it says that you can delete dated folders this way, but not individual files. I'd say it's dangerous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.