Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brinary001

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I'm moving into an off-campus apartment in a few weeks, and word is that those who live there get the hammer brought down on them by the office IT staff if they're found to be doing not-so-good things on the building network. How can I make my own VPN, or do anything that would privatize my network activities for that matter, so I don't have any prying eyes?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
What you need is to connect to an external VPN server with VPN client software, be it the built-in VPN software on the Mac or a third party client.

You should confirm that the network at the apartment will allow you to connect to a VPN as the IT folks in charge do have the ability to block certain activity.

If you are able to do the above remember that the VPN connection will prevent them from seeing exactly what you're doing, but will not prevent them from seeing your data upload/download rates and totals.

Reactions: Macman08

brinary001

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
What you need is to connect to an external VPN server with VPN client software, be it the built-in VPN software on the Mac or a third party client.

You should confirm that the network at the apartment will allow you to connect to a VPN as the IT folks in charge do have the ability to block certain activity.

If you are able to do the above remember that the VPN connection will prevent them from seeing exactly what you're doing, but will not prevent them from seeing your data upload/download rates and totals.
Got it. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.