Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonnyWhy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
My friend did something stupid while I wasn't there and somehow enetered my mac os x utilities mode. Now I can't use my computer like normal, the only choices i have is to erase and reinstall, disk repair etc, and restart from another disk. When i choose to restart from mac os x, it just brings me back to utilities! How can i fix this? Thanks

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
My friend did something stupid while I wasn't there and somehow enetered my mac os x utilities mode. Now I can't use my computer like normal, the only choices i have is to erase and reinstall, disk repair etc, and restart from another disk. When i choose to restart from mac os x, it just brings me back to utilities! How can i fix this? Thanks

Hold down option during boot before the apple icon appears. Preferably right around the time the gray screen appears.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
i did and i choose my normal startup disk, and it just keeps opening recovery... D:

Can you verify the OS partition is still there through the Disk Utility in recovery? If so, did you run Verify Disk to make sure the hard drive didn't die? What exactly did your friend do on your computer? Surely he must have told you something.

Shekspir1316

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2021
16289642977709221637632350443251.jpg

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Proceed to enter the Recovery Mode. From the menu bar choose Utilities-->Terminal. Run the following command (exactly as shown here - write it down or take a picture with another device so you aren't missing a symbol when typing into the Terminal window):

Bash:
nvraminfo=$(nvram -p | grep -Ei 'manufacturing-enter-picker.*true'); if [ -n "$nvraminfo" ] ; then nvram -d manufacturing-enter-picker ; fi ; nvram -d recovery-boot-mode ; reboot

What it does:
In the event that the system is set to switch to the partition picker it disables this behaviour followed by booting from your startup volume as opposed to booting into the Recovery Mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.