Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paintstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2019
Seattle
There is one Mac pro 5,1 a MacBook that is my daily use, a Mac mini, and two older iMacs that are essentially just storage/processors for NLP/ML algotrading machine learning tasks. All of these are networked by a 4 TB time machine that has been great but I don’t have any more ethernet ports.

There is one windows 7 machine that I keep for clients that are windows only but even that one windows machine makes my network feel unsecure/dirty and is a constant security concern.

It looks like I’m might have more clients work where I need to have their data on site and I would feel more comfortable having a better documented and more secure network set up.

I would like to harden the security, but I don’t know how secure the airport, Ethernet is and firewall is on each of my machines except the windows I have no clue what’s on that thing so confusing on windows. Also is there a way of documenting or checking that it is secure, i’ve heard of wire guard or shark wire some thing?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Adding an ethernet switch solves the port issue.

I don't know of anything that can secure a Windows 7 computer connected to the internet. If you're running outdated versions of macOS you should also be concerned about that.

You are obviously not a computer networking or systems security expert and should likely hire one considering it sounds like you are dealing with client financial data. If I saw a post like this from a firm handling any of my money/data I'd be outraged and drop them…and probably demand an independent security audit that confirms that they no longer possess any of my data.

If I am misinterpreting the issue I apologize.

Reactions: kirbyrun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.