Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Very simple,
I run a cable from my router to a switch in a storage room and from there another cable goes to an Apple AirPort (the square flat one, I think last gen of the series) which serves wifi signal to computer, AppleTV etc, now I'd like to add an extender so that I can stream music to my stereo for casual listening via wifi, I have an old Airport which is not supported by Airport Utility any longer, I don't even remember if it can work as an extender gathering the signal from another base without a cable, what would the solution be to capture the signal off wifi, what should I look forward to either new or used?

Grazie

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
Very simple,
I run a cable from my router to a switch in a storage room and from there another cable goes to an Apple AirPort (the square flat one, I think last gen of the series) which serves wifi signal to computer, AppleTV etc, now I'd like to add an extender so that I can stream music to my stereo for casual listening via wifi, I have an old Airport which is not supported by Airport Utility any longer, I don't even remember if it can work as an extender gathering the signal from another base without a cable, what would the solution be to capture the signal off wifi, what should I look forward to either new or used?

Grazie
How old an Airport? It’s very hard to Extend it using Wifi - but you can try logging into the Old Airport and setting it up as part of your Network without being an extender.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I retired my AirPort Extreme router/wifi in favor of an eero Pro 6E mesh router. Apple no longer supports the AirPort series and I had infrequent updates, like one in 3 years. The eero has monthly updates, and an app that shows the status of everything in your local network. According Steve Gibson of Security Now! if your router has not been updated in more than 2 years it is time to replace it with a new one. Make sure what you get one that has regular push updates. The way I have my eero setup is it has the ethernet cable from my DSL modem. It has one other ethernet port, that one goes to a Netgear GS108 8 port unmanaged router. The stuff needing it at the amateur radio station plug into it. The eero Pro 6E WiFi has about a 60 foot range. At this time I have not needed to add any satellite routers to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kagharaht

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Hello,

in Italy Telecom provides us a mode router, from this I go to a switch in a storage and from it I access a NAS (which works as a media server) and then a cable runs to another room in the house where there is an Apple Airport, I think the last model they made, the flat square one.

What I'd like to achieve is to stream the signal wirelessly to a receiver in the proximity of my second stereo setup so that I can access music libraries or stream directly from computer and/or phone onto it and that's why I thought of another AirPort but the old one I have is not recognised by AirPort Utility any longer and the old utility the 5.6.1 won't even run on my oldest MacMini which is a 2010 with HighSierra.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
if your router has not been updated in more than 2 years it is time to replace it with a new one.
I much cheaper solution is to get a router which can be flashed with Open WRT and it will be always up to date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.