Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Dear friends,
I am struggling to find some audio recording on the Mac - I listened to it recently but it does not appeal in "Recent" files of the Quick Time Player.

I want to find it "manually" from a list of all my audio files -

How can I create such a list or to see all these files in one window?

Thanks a lot!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Audio files come in many formats. If you know the format (.wav for example) you could use the Finder to search (Command-F) for files with ".wav" (no quotes) in the filename.

There's a list of audio formats at wikipedia. To find all audio files on your Mac you'd have to search for them all. You can use OR in the search field as many times as you like.

Here I'm searching for ".wav OR .mp3 OR .aif":

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 9.07.22 AM.png

The search field doesn't display the entire search criteria but you'll see that when you do your own.

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Audio files come in many formats. If you know the format (.wav for example) you could use the Finder to search (Command-F) for files with ".wav" (no quotes) in the filename.

There's a list of audio formats at wikipedia. To find all audio files on your Mac you'd have to search for them all. You can use OR in the search field as many times as you like.

Here I'm searching for ".wav OR .mp3 OR .aif":

View attachment 761699

The search field doesn't display the entire search criteria but you'll see that when you do your own.
Thanks, I thought that Siri or Spotlight intelligent enough for being capable of solving this simple task>>>

Baletin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
It's all the from the same database. If you want accurate results of a search you have to be in control of the parameters.

I asked Siri: "find audio file" and she listed all audio files. Looks as solving the issue at least in part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.