Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bladerunner88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Off World
So recently endured a full on meltdown of my Mac Pro 6.1, was finally able to re-boot into Recovery and re install OS 10.10.5 followed by Time Machine Restore. My Dilemma is I had a Custom Icon representing the Hard Drive of the Mac Pro and can't seem to find it in TM. Can anyone help me with the location on my Time Machine backup of the Icon representing the Mac's Hard Drive?

TIA,

Cheers.

Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
So recently endured a full on meltdown of my Mac Pro 6.1, was finally able to re-boot into Recovery and re install OS 10.10.5 followed by Time Machine backup. My Dilemma is I had a Custom Icon representing the Hard Drive of the Mac Pro and can't seem to find it in TM. Can anyone help me with the location on my Time Machine backup of the Icon representing the Mac's Hard Drive?

TIA,

Cheers.
Did you mean "followed by Time Machine restore"? A restore should have replaced the custom icon, if it didn't then I don't think you'll have much luck in finding it.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The custom icon is stored in the root path of the disk, e.g: /.VolumeIcon.icns
You will likely find it in the backup too:
Code:
ls -la "$(tmutil latestbackup)/Macintosh HD" | grep .VolumeIcon

bladerunner88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Off World
Did you mean "followed by Time Machine restore"? A restore should have replaced the custom icon, if it didn't then I don't think you'll have much luck in finding it.
Ya it was odd, for some reason the first TM Restore did not take and seemed to get hang up on the Reboot. I ended up doing a clean install of the OS and then restored from TM, am hoping if I go back before the crash i can find the Custom Icon.
[doublepost=1497117045][/doublepost]
The custom icon is stored in the root path of the disk, e.g: /.VolumeIcon.icns
You will likely find it in the backup too:
Code:
ls -la "$(tmutil latestbackup)/Macintosh HD" | grep .VolumeIcon

Hey Kallt,

Thanks for the Clue, sadly the Coffee is not working yet can you explain it me like I was 3?
Normally am fine digging into the System Folder and or Terminal its just am not thinking clearly at the moment.

TIA.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
What this command would have done is list all files (ls -la) within the root path of last Time Machine snapshot of your Macintosh HD disk ("$(tmutil latestbackup)/Macintosh HD") and then show only a result if the file “.VolumeIcon” is on that list.

What you can do is use this Terminal command to show all hidden files in Finder. This command will activate a setting that you cannot enable in the user interface.
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

After entering this command, you should relaunch Finder by holding the option key and right-clicking on the Finder icon in the Dock, then select “Relaunch”.

Then you go to your Time Machine disk in Finder and traverse the path until you reach a Macintosh HD folder. There should be a file called .VolumeIcon.icns there (in the root of the Macintosh HD folder). Simply copy this file to your desktop and rename it to remove the initial full-stop. Then you right-click on your Macintosh HD volume, select "Get Info" and drag the icon from your desktop to the top-left icon on the Get Info window.

Finally, you can hide the hidden files again with this command:
Code:
defaults delete com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles

bladerunner88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Off World
What this command would have done is list all files (ls -la) within the root path of last Time Machine snapshot of your Macintosh HD disk ("$(tmutil latestbackup)/Macintosh HD") and then show only a result if the file “.VolumeIcon” is on that list.

What you can do is use this Terminal command to show all hidden files in Finder. This command will activate a setting that you cannot enable in the user interface.
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

After entering this command, you should relaunch Finder by holding the option key and right-clicking on the Finder icon in the Dock, then select “Relaunch”.

Then you go to your Time Machine disk in Finder and traverse the path until you reach a Macintosh HD folder. There should be a file called .VolumeIcon.icns there (in the root of the Macintosh HD folder). Simply copy this file to your desktop and rename it to remove the initial full-stop. Then you right-click on your Macintosh HD volume, select "Get Info" and drag the icon from your desktop to the top-left icon on the Get Info window.

Finally, you can hide the hidden files again with this command:
Code:
defaults delete com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles

KALLT,

Pure Magic! Thank you so much!!

trashcan.png

Cheers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.