Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
My UPS is connected to my Ethernet network. However, I do not know, what IP address it was configured with (I purchased it used). What’s the best way to try to find the IP address, when I have my Mac connected to the UPS with an Ethernet cable directly? What software should I use?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Is there no way to reset it to factory defaults so that you can set it up from scratch? There's typically a reset button somewhere.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
There is, but the documentation is somewhat murky on this. As far as official documentation is concerned, it will only reset the user ID and password to apc/apc but retain the IP settings. In order to change those, one has to set up a serial connection to the UPS. The problem with that is that it uses a custom-wired DB-9 cable, which was not supplied with the UPS I purchased.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
There is, but the documentation is somewhat murky on this. As far as official documentation is concerned, it will only reset the user ID and password to apc/apc but retain the IP settings. In order to change those, one has to set up a serial connection to the UPS. The problem with that is that it uses a custom-wired DB-9 cable, which was not supplied with the UPS I purchased.
Maybe with some Like this too configure it!

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
Maybe with some Like this too configure it!
I’d still need a DB-9 breakout connector to match the standard RS-232 wiring on the end of what you are suggesting to what the UPS expects. For some reason, APC decided on proprietary pin-outs. While those have been sufficiently well reverse-engineered, they are unique. They are unique even between different APC models. It’s hard to think why this would have been anything but an anti-competitive feature.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
by creating an entry in the ARP table of your Mac it should be possible to connect to the UPS no matter what IP address it has configured.

arp -s [unused IP in the same subnet] [MAC address of UPS]
now you should be able to connect to the UPS via [unused IP in the same subnet]

the ARP table will be reset when Mac is rebooted.

Last edited:

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I simply said it was a handy tool to have. Not everybody lives in ARP tables. I also pointed out that I have no experience trying to detect a single device plugged directly into a computer.

it does have some detection abilities. It would take 5 minutes to try, tops. What's the harm?

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
I simply said it was a handy tool to have. Not everybody lives in ARP tables. I also pointed out that I have no experience trying to detect a single device plugged directly into a computer.

it does have some detection abilities. It would take 5 minutes to try, tops. What's the harm?

I do own a hammer. this often is a handy tool to have... what I mean to say: an IP scanner simply isn't the right tool in this scenario. it won't help at all unless both are in the same subnet, which would be an extremely unlikely coincidence (like winning the lottery). and the ARP table is no magic stuff ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.