Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cylack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
How to find the file path of a search result in Spotlight? In Monterey one would press the Command key and the file's path would be revealed, but that is not working in Ventura. Thanks

Reactions: xgman

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
How to find the file path of a search result in Spotlight? In Monterey one would press the Command key and the file's path would be revealed, but that is not working in Ventura. Thanks
Doesn’t it show in the Pathbar at the bottom when you select a file? Opt-cmd-p to show/hide. that is in pre-Ventura. I can’t confirm as I’m not running the beta.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Right click on the file and it shows this...
1662057360227.png

Click on "Show in Enclosing Folder".

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Or Command + click or Command + Enter

(I actually never knew about Command + r . . . I wonder why "r"?)
'r' for 'reveal'. used in a number of places in the OS (try right clicking a song in the music app, for example; command-R will show the files actual location).

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
'r' for 'reveal'. used in a number of places in the OS (try right clicking a song in the music app, for example; command-R will show the files actual location).

"reveal" makes sense. Not sure what you mean with your example, though. Command + r doesn't do anything for me for a music track in the Music app (at least not in Monterrey). I just get the "invalid command" tone. I always just right-click the track and select "Show in Finder" to do that in Music.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
"reveal" makes sense. Not sure what you mean with your example, though. Command + r doesn't do anything for me for a music track in the Music app (at least not in Monterrey). I just get the "invalid command" tone. I always just right-click the track and select "Show in Finder" to do that in Music.
ah, right (i never use the Music app). i used to be able to do command-R. anyway, also works with aliases in the finder...

EDIT: spotlight still needs work. in a search, command-R gave me the notes app for a note entry, but the correct file for a pdf. seems it should always point to content? not sure why i need to be taken to the note app; i can see that it's in 'notes' in the spotlight window itself...

Last edited:
Reactions: usagora

cylack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
Issue seems to be fixed under the latest Ventura beta. Holding Command reveals the file path right next to the file itself, not at the bottom of the search results like in the past.

Reactions: fisherking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.