Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScammerAlert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
Apple offers trade ins for these Late 2013 Mac Pro's but what I've found is that they seem to only pay based on what the computer originally shipped with. I have bought several of these Mac Pro's over the years and by doing serial number checks you can see manufacture date but not what that computer was spec'd with from Apple. They denied me the original trade in estimate because they say that my computer is a 3.7 ghz quad core even though I know it has a 2.7 ghz 12-core in it. They kept referencing back to the serial number as the thing that determined they would only pay for a quad core.

I've gone back and forth with several people at Apple and I'm over it. I would like to find out what this used Mac Pro I have originally shipped with from the factory if possible.

ScammerAlert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
That’s why I need to find out what processor mine shipped with as I bought it on the used market. I want to know if the 12-core that’s in it is the original. The Apple trade in on 12-cores is $980+ depending on hard drive.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
That’s why I need to find out what processor mine shipped with as I bought it on the used market. I want to know if the 12-core that’s in it is the original. The Apple trade in on 12-cores is $980+ depending on hard drive.
This seems irrelevant if Apple say it 'was' a quad core (based on the serial number) and that's all they will offer in trade-in value...:rolleyes:
Even if you contact the original seller and get confirmation, seems like Apple have made their offer.

ScammerAlert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
I guess I’m not explaining myself well enough. I have another 2013 Mac Pro with a 12-core in it that I bought used a while back and before I go through the effort of sending it in and getting it rejected I was hoping there was a resource for me to look up that info beforehand.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
The suffix/last four digits of a 12-digit SSN, like late-2013 Mac Pros, are the HWC/model of the Mac. The model is tied to the original CPU (plus GPU/storage/RAM), different CPUs (plus GPU/storage/RAM) have different HWCs. There are at least three dozen different HWC models.

With some searching you probably can make a table relationing the HWC to the CPU. I did it over the years for MacPro5,1.

Another thing that you can also try are the decoding SSN webpages, some show the model of the CPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkC426

ScammerAlert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
Great info. Thanks. Looks like F9VM is tied to the quad cores as I have two of those. My other is F694. Anyone have other Mac Pros that can share their 12-core last 4 digits to help me narrow it down?

ScammerAlert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
Thanks. So that’s the last four on a Mac Pro you know was ordered from the factory with a 12 core in it?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Unfortunately the 4-digit theory seems to be flawed.
I have two first-hand 6-cores. One ends with F9VN the other one with F693.
The original packaging has all info on the bottom.
I upgraded both with 12-cores.

edit: Perhaps it's a combination of GPU/RAM/SSD and CPU?
F9VN: 3.5-6C/D300/12GB/256GB
F693: 3.5-6C/D500/16GB/256GB

Trade-In-value is 460€ for the D300 one. For me, it's still such a great PC.

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
F9VN: 3.5-6C/D300/12GB/256GB
F693: 3.5-6C/D500/16GB/256GB

Trade-In-value is 460€ for the D300 one. For me, it's still such a great PC.
That's more than I thought you would get for an 8-9 year old machine....?

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I don't think it's possible to tell which CPU it came with from the factory by the last 4 digits of the serial number. I also see an 8 core on eBay with F9VN. My 8 core is J3RW.

Apple has this info though. You could try calling AppleCare. This is what it says for product on my AppleCare+ agreement: "MAC PRO,3.0GHZ,8C,16GB,FP D700,256GB"

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
The HWC is sound, the problem is that is one HWC for each different model for the GPU type, size of storage, RAM and CPU. Some years ago PikerAlpha listed all models of MacPro6,1 and there were at least three dozen, from what I remember. It's totally possible to do a table relation between the HWC and the factory CPU, but won't be an easy job.

Also, factory refurbished models have a different HWC from the brand new models. Countries with different main supply power cables/different keyboard layouts also have different HWCs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkC426

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I guess I’m not explaining myself well enough. I have another 2013 Mac Pro with a 12-core in it that I bought used a while back and before I go through the effort of sending it in and getting it rejected I was hoping there was a resource for me to look up that info beforehand.

When you give them the serial number for trade in they'll look up how many cores it came with and offer you the price based on that. If they tell you it's a twelve core on the trade in site, it was originally a twelve core. They have that tracked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.