Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeDavies99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Hi all.
I'm searching for some files on an HD with 10.6.8 installed. How do I find and unhide the trash folder?
Thanks

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
The trash folder is named .Trash in the user directory; Can be cd'ed into through Terminal like any other directory. It may have been called .Trashes back then - I feel like I remember that, but at least it's .Trash no Big Sur and it's basically the same for 10.6 too; Whether it's .Trash, .Trashes or whatnot may be a difference, but it's essentially that

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Also, there isn't necessarily one Trash folder. Each user account, if there's more than one, will have its own.

Reactions: MikeDavies99

MikeDavies99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Thanks all.
I have a Mac Pro with 4 hard drives. It went south and I'm trying to find some files I need by loading the drives in an external. It occured to me to check the trash on the boot drive.. I can go to the folder but it is empty?
I'm officially confused cause the Macbook I am using to search shows stuff in its Trash that I swear I deleted off Mac Tower..
Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.