Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Dear all

after a clean installof Catalina at the moment the only problem I have is about my mac that wake up randomly.
I have handoff turned off, wake on network access off, wake by Bluetooth devices off.
How do I check the log about wake up?
I can’t find any entry using the command I find on the net. None works or give me a valid output to check.
How to find what’s waking up my mac from sleep?
Thanks a lot.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Another user in a thread about Catalina and sleep problems posted this helpful command:

In the Terminal, pmset -g assertions will tell you what processes are keeping your Mac awake.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Hi. Thank you very much for answering.

Io know the command but it tell me what prevent my mac go sleep. I want to know what woke it up after it was in sleep from one hour or two.

So it go to sleep but after some time it wake up. What's causing this behavior? Unfortunately the command you posted doesn't tell me that but only what prevent it.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Have you checked your logs? Sometimes it will tell you what process if any woke the Mac up. Logs are not easy to read, but give it a try.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Hi. I got a look at the system console but no entry using Wake or similar. Any hint about the search entry to use?

Thanks a lot.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
@StellarVixen sure I'm not clear with my poor english.

With pmset -g assertions or Activity Monitor I don't have processes that are problematic for my mac and prevent it to sleep.

But, it woke up with apparently no reason.

So, after it wake up I would like to see an entry in the log. How do I do that?

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Hi. Thank you very much for answering.

Io know the command but it tell me what prevent my mac go sleep. I want to know what woke it up after it was in sleep from one hour or two.

So it go to sleep but after some time it wake up. What's causing this behavior? Unfortunately the command you posted doesn't tell me that but only what prevent it.

I'd guess that what is preventing sleep is likely the same process that woke it up. I'm not sure there are many processes that would wake up the Mac and then end. And even if that happened, your Mac should then go back to sleep after the number of minutes have passed that you specified. So I think the process that command shows is probably what woke it up in the first place.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
I'd guess that what is preventing sleep is likely the same process that woke it up. I'm not sure there are many processes that would wake up the Mac and then end. And even if that happened, your Mac should then go back to sleep after the number of minutes have passed that you specified. So I think the process that command shows is probably what woke it up in the first place.

Unfortunately the command line pmset -g assertions told me zero process on PreventSystemSleep and zero process on PreventUserIdleSystemSleep .

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Unfortunately the command line pmset -g assertions told me zero process on PreventSystemSleep and zero process on PreventUserIdleSystemSleep .

What happens if you manually put it to sleep? Does it wake up soon after?

I'd make sure that the sleep settings are correct. Also that no one accidentally bumps the mouse or keyboard after sleep begins, which will also wake it up.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
I was sitting on my sofa... At a point I saw the monitor switching on and so the mac. No one was touching it. I deactivated wake up by bluetooth device (so the keyboard can't wake up it) and nobody was touching the usb mouse.

After some investigation in the registry console and in the terminal I put it back to sleep and has been sleeping for 10 hours now. I have a camera for checking the wake up on the desk that activates a recording when movement is seen (when the monitor light up after sleep).

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Thank you very much. Really really useful.

This is what I've found so far thanks to your command:

Code:
2019-10-27 09:00:25 +0100 Wake                    Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to RTC/UserActivity Assertion Using AC (Charge:0%)

Please note that yesterday at 9AM I were not at home.

Yesterday evening at 22 when I saw the abnormal wake up:

Code:
2019-10-27 22:00:23 +0100 Wake                    Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to RTC/UserActivity Assertion Using AC (Charge:0%)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.