Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizardCobra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2020
When I select a directory in Finder, it causes the horizontal scrollbar to automatically move all the way to the left. This makes it so that I can't see what I actually have selected. In most cases, all I can see is the very end of the highlight bar, and the right pointing arrow at the end of the row. Even if I expand the finder window to take up the entire width of my external monitor's screen, I still can't see what I have selected, which means I also can't change it to select a different folder without first scrolling all the way back to the right.
Is there any way to make it so that it either only scrolls automatically left just enough to show what is there, or to disable this broken feature all together?

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 7.44.23 PM.png

LizardCobra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2020
That defeats the whole point. I don't want to adjust the widths, I shouldn't have to. I'm not going to keep constantly adjusting the column widths every time I open a new window, or open/change directories from within an existing window.

An extremely common task is to click on each child folder to see what's inside of it. Sometimes the folder names are long, so the column actually needs to be that wide. I have the real estate for it on my screen, I shouldn't have to make the column narrower every time I select a folder with a shorter name.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
That defeats the whole point. I don't want to adjust the widths, I shouldn't have to. I'm not going to keep constantly adjusting the column widths every time I open a new window, or open/change directories from within an existing window.

An extremely common task is to click on each child folder to see what's inside of it. Sometimes the folder names are long, so the column actually needs to be that wide. I have the real estate for it on my screen, I shouldn't have to make the column narrower every time I select a folder with a shorter name.
So, if you have a file with three feet long name...

hepcat72

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
(BTW, I love column view. Great for keyboard navigation. Anyway...) I have had the same issue as OP, however my default horizontal scroll position is *in the middle*. Inspired by other feedback I read elsewhere, I tried this and (so far) it seems to have worked.

Open a new Finder window and set it up how you like (scroll-wise). Then select the Finder > Preferences menu item and click the General tab. Change the selected "New Finder window shows" to a different folder (I changed mine from my home folder to Recents.) Close the preference window, then open a new Finder window (I used command-n to do this). For me, the scroll position was fixed. (all the way to the left). Then repeat this process and set it back to your preferred folder.

Feedback elsewhere had said to trash the associated plist file, but that it only solved the problem for a couple days. I have seen such behavior reversion before. The system somehow remembers its previous settings and overwrites manual changes like this. Hopefully using the preferences interface will save the desired scroll position. And I suspect that making Finder Preference changes saves the current attributes of whichever Finder window has focus.

LeatherMuffin

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
this right here is why I hate Apple as a company. I dont think they even beta their products anymore. I find it incredibly hard to believe that something like this would get past beta testers. The fact that this STILL isn't fixed is a disgrace. I shouldnt be shocked this is Apple's motto...F%&# You you'll buy it.

knarf7765

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2022
this right here is why I hate Apple as a company. I dont think they even beta their products anymore. I find it incredibly hard to believe that something like this would get past beta testers. The fact that this STILL isn't fixed is a disgrace. I shouldnt be shocked this is Apple's motto...F%&# You you'll buy it.
sounds like you guys are having issues with "spring loading" if so, there is an option to turn it off and on. Go to system preferences / Accessibility / pointer control from there, uncheck spring loading.

Almo68

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2022
sounds like you guys are having issues with "spring loading" if so, there is an option to turn it off and on. Go to system preferences / Accessibility / pointer control from there, uncheck spring loading.
I was having the same problem and yep this did it for me.
You should work for Apple instead of the self-righteous bunch there.
Can you also fix my "water resistant" iPhone that they refused to accept was water damaged (as they market it, so whilst not covered by their deceptive warranty IS actually covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 because that's how they market it) because it was.... er.... already water damaged. 😡

LeatherMuffin

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
Thank you so much. It is absolutely insane that I have to come here for something like this. The fact that apple's "geniuses" could have said that to me in the multiple conversations I have with them about this is actually disgusting. The fact that spring loading exists is actually disgusting too lol. If it makes **** not work dont add it in. Its very simple. I hate you apple lol.

timbales

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2023
THANK YOU, sorry to shout. This has been the bane of my uninformed existence. Finally found this answer. All Love. Thanks :):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.