Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Hello,

I have the following instructions:
Insert a USB memory device, in to your PC’s USB port. (The USB memory device MUST be formatted as “FAT”)

Of course the instructions are for Pc user, but I only own a MBP

I know there is a difference between FAT vs FAT32, but I don't know how to format a USB stick as FAT and Which Format option do I have to choose?

Thanks
Came

001LE700.jpg

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Use FAT32, if they were being specific they would say FAT16 or FAT12 (lol). FAT32 was mainstream 20 years ago, I seriously doubt your Sharp TV requires a 30-35 year old file system (FAT12/16).

Reactions: camelia

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Use FAT32, if they were being specific they would say FAT16 or FAT12 (lol). FAT32 was mainstream 20 years ago, I seriously doubt your Sharp TV requires a 30-35 year old file system (FAT12/16).

Hi cynics,

...Use FAT32,... do you mean this one?

Thanks
Camelia

002fat_format.jpg

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City

Thank you cynics, I didn't know nothing about FAT12/16 :D

Yes... that is .

Thank you Weaselboy, for you helping me confirm the format option I need for FAT32 :)

I received an email from Sharp TV support, they wrote:

"The downloading and unzipping of the update needs to be done on a windows PC as a Macintosh will copy over ghost files preventing the updating process."

Does it have sense? Do I need to buy a Pc only to format an USB stick, because as a Macintosh will copy over ghost files preventing the updating process? o_O

Thank you
Camelia :apple:

PS: I am very sorry to make a drama about a simple question but now I am really lost :oops:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I received an email from Sharp TV support, they wrote:

"The downloading and unzipping of the update needs to be done on a windows PC as a Macintosh will copy over ghost files preventing the updating process."

Does it have sense? Do I need to buy a Pc only to format an USB stick, because as a Macintosh will copy over ghost files preventing the updating process?

OS X does copy some hidden files to an external and that could cause a problem I suppose. You can read a bit about it here. You should be able to format to FAT32 then unzip the files to the drive, then afterward remove those hidden OS X files. In the article I linked there are some Terminal commands to get that done. There are also apps like Tinker Tool or Blue Harvest that will do it for you.

Edit: It might be worth just trying it without removing those hidden files. I have used FAT32 USB keys made/copied on my Mac to do firmware updates on my car and a couple home theater devices without any problems. So I know it does not always cause an issue.

Last edited:

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
OS X does copy some hidden files to an external and that could cause a problem I suppose. You can read a bit about it here. You should be able to format to FAT32 then unzip the files to the drive, then afterward remove those hidden OS X files. In the article I linked there are some Terminal commands to get that done. There are also apps like Tinker Tool or Blue Harvest that will do it for you.

Edit: It might be worth just trying it without removing those hidden files. I have used FAT32 USB keys made/copied on my Mac to do firmware updates on my car and a couple home theater devices without any problems. So I know it does not always cause an issue.

Thank you very much
Came

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.