Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shayneox

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
Songtan South Korea
I've tried Googling and searching here and I think I am not typing the right key words to get an answer.

Twice I've had an app where swiping up would not close it, I had to turn the phone off and on again.
Is there a known button combination that force closes an app that's stuck?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
See that big red minus symbol? Swipe away when you see it.

2D3F7338-A406-4465-93C8-61600F226988.jpeg

shayneox

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
Songtan South Korea
See that big red minus symbol? Swipe away when you see it.

View attachment 742671

Guess I cant get the wording I want right on this site either :)

I cant swipe up...the app will not close/minimize at all....it still functions, but will not close at all.
I'm stuck with the app open. I know how to do the methods shown above.
Guessing I'm the only one whom has experienced this so far then.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth

I cant swipe up...the app will not close/minimize at all....it still functions, but will not close at all.

I'm thinking your wording is confusing. You make it sound like you open and app and you can't exit out of it. The app closes, if you want to close it completely (remove it from the recently used app list) you long press on it and click the minus sign. I find it an odd change coming from a 6s+, I liked flicking and app away but it didn't take me long to get used to doing it this way.

shayneox

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
Songtan South Korea
I'm thinking your wording is confusing. You make it sound like you open and app and you can't exit out of it. The app closes, if you want to close it completely (remove it from the recently used app list) you long press on it and click the minus sign. I find it an odd change coming from a 6s+, I liked flicking and app away but it didn't take me long to get used to doing it this way.

that's pretty much it, I cant exit the app at all.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

I experience the same thing from time to time. Frustrating.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is apparently a bug where occasionally apps in the app switcher refuse to close, either by swiping up or tapping the x.
Does leaving the app switcher and then going into it again get it working again?

Blancavena

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2017
The Netherlands
You can still flick away once you see the minus sign. In other words, once you see the minus sign, you have two ways to close apps: by tapping the minus sign and by flicking the apps away old school style.

Reactions: cyclingplatypus

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
I've had this happen with a game. Went to swipe up to stop playing and nothing. Stayed on screen. No amount of force touch or swiping worked. I finally had to shut my iPhone X off and turn it back on.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
There's no way to do it anymore as far as I can tell. Alternatively, you can go to accessibility and turn on/off bold text to force re-spring but it affects all apps and is as annoying as simple reboot

P.S. Nothing wrong with your wording. You clearly stated that "swiping up didn't work" in both thread title and message body :D

Beardedguy

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2017
New Jersey
Yea you’re wording was fine. I’ve had this same problem while watching the fox sports go app in landscape mode. Swiping up did absolutely nothing. Never got me to the app switcher so I had to turn off my phone which annoyed me.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Oh, I see now – I had a different situation. I was able to access the app switcher and tried to close the app.
After closing it, the preview of the app didn't go away. Instead, it became transparent i.e. there was a gap between two other applications. You could still tap on the transparent area and it'll go back to the app without reloading it.

Since swiping up gesture worked fine, I was able to navigate to accessibility menu and force re-spring via the bold text toggle.

Your case is completely hopeless... :( Ironically, I thought you meant swiping up from app switcher and not from the app itself. And I obviously missed the part where you said you can't minimize it at all.

Wyckham

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2017
THings like these is why I went iphone 8Plus which just arrived today.

I was all up for a new form factor but the X is unsuitable for me as a hardcore all day user.

shayneox

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
Songtan South Korea
Slingplayer for one.

For me it was my Sphero BB-8 app and I don't recall the other one...Hopefully they will fix the apps.

Thanks for the input, maybe apple will catch wind of this and make a magic press the power button 3 times to bring up app switcher or something.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
You can still flick away once you see the minus sign. In other words, once you see the minus sign, you have two ways to close apps: by tapping the minus sign and by flicking the apps away old school style.

Not if you're experiencing the "bug." When that happens, none of the apps will close, either by swiping up or tapping the x.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
To get out of a problem app, could you maybe activate Siri and ask her to open another app?

I did come across an app earlier which wouldn’t allow me to swipe up to home when running in the apps fullscreen mode. Just tried it again, and it seems that swiping up twice in quick succession works...at least for this particular app.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.