Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Can anyone please help? I can't get the Home app and HomePods to do what I want. The Homepods selection on the Home app on my iPad/iPhone is showing music I downloaded from Apple/iTunes years ago while I want to show NO music (or, a few specific music files and none other).

On every Apple device I have, I disconnected "show Apple Music," I unselected 'show downloaded music,' and I've disconnected Siri. I have no music files downloaded to the iPad/iPhone.

Yet in the Home app I can see access to podcasts in the Overcast app and songs I downloaded in the past from iTunes.

I've tried everything under the sun for years to have the Music app on my devices show *only* specific non-downloaded non-Apple-Music non-iTunes-purchased songs/files (with is another issue I hope to rectify someday)...

I am getting married soon and want to have someone in my family start/stop a few songs using a spare iPad. I'm planning to use two HomePod minis. I'm so afraid something will "activate" and get played that I do not want to get played. I do not trust the Apple HomePod mini / Apple Music / Music app to not do exactly what I want, and to not do anything I don't want it to do. How sad is that. Even though I have unselected "Apple Music" and "show downloaded music," the same issue comes up when my Toyota Tacoma auto-plays music from my Iphone that is not supposed to be on the iPhone...

Help?

(Apple: Please add more engineers back to your "It Just Works" department)

Last edited:

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Well I got the HomePod minis to do what I wanted after about 4-5 hours throughout the day yesterday researching online, trying, resetting/reconnecting, etc. I'm only using it to play music thru the Music app via my MBA; trying to manipulate/use the HomePod mini's on my iPad is too unreliable. And forget trying to customize/navigate the Home app on my iPad, it's very unintuitive and confusing.

I think Apple has a ways to go with the Home app and with making the HomePod mini's "it just works," but after working a lot to make them work, they finally work and will hopefully work reliable come this Friday for my wedding.

Good luck to me. Thanks Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.