Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
The 7,1 will remain useful much longer than an M1 Studio, even if it can't run a current macOS release. Apple will end macOS version updates for the M1 Studio in ~3 years after it's discontinued and there won't be anything you can do with it besides accept the security risks of using an old macOS version. The 7,1 will even remain useful longer than the upcoming M2 Ultra Mac Pro, which is already obsolete since M3 is almost here.
We disagree with your commentary. Where do you get the wrong idea that "Apple will end macOS version updates for the M1 Studio in ~3 years"? My 2016 MBP has been getting all OS versions for more than 7 years, up until Ventura, 10/2022. And AFAIK Monterey (I am now on 12.6.3) still gets security updates when necessary, even though I cannot move to Ventura.

We do agree that the 2019 MP was a good, versatile desktop. However in my experience even the good, versatile desktops age out at some point for app/OS software or hardware reasons, including hardware failure. The tech world keeps advancing. Best planning policy IMO is to allow for about ~6 year life of a box.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
The 7,1 will remain useful much longer than an M1 Studio, even if it can't run a current macOS release. Apple will end macOS version updates for the M1 Studio in ~3 years after it's discontinued and there won't be anything you can do with it besides accept the security risks of using an old macOS version. The 7,1 will even remain useful longer than the upcoming M2 Ultra Mac Pro, which is already obsolete since M3 is almost here.

And the quick obsolescence is exactly what Apple wants you to accept. Fans of AS are pushing a misconception that AS Macs will be supported basically forever, and it's not true. Apple gets tighter control over Macs with AS and they will be able to obsolete hardware more quickly. They want to sell as many Macs as possible, as they should, but don't fool yourself into thinking an AS Mac purchase is long-term. Apple wants to sell you a new Mac every year like an iPhone.

This is correct. Our 7,1 machines we can already run them in W11 Pro for Workstations which is running very fast and stable for me.

I don’t like the direction Apple is going with machines that cannot be serviced easily by users.

Last edited:

dazzer21-2

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2005
I think that the Intel Mac Pro is probably about the poorest investment you can make right now. Even Apple are offering abhorrently low trade in values. Any sort of investment will only go down. YouTubers are already bemoaning having bought $15k Pros when an $800 Mac mini does better at getting the job done in certain respects.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
We disagree with your commentary. Where do you get the wrong idea that "Apple will end macOS version updates for the M1 Studio in ~3 years"? My 2016 MBP has been getting all OS versions for more than 7 years, up until Ventura, 10/2022. And AFAIK Monterey (I am now on 12.6.3) still gets security updates when necessary, even though I cannot move to Ventura.

We do agree that the 2019 MP was a good, versatile desktop. However in my experience even the good, versatile desktops age out at some point for app/OS software or hardware reasons, including hardware failure. The tech world keeps advancing. Best planning policy IMO is to allow for about ~6 year life of a box.

It's not a wrong idea because the number of years the M1 Studio will be supported by macOS version updates is an unknown, so it is wrong to assume it will receive more years than that. What is certain is that it will reach the vintage list in 5 years and obsolete list in 7. When it does stop receiving updates there won't be a new OS that will run natively on it, unless a lot of progress is made with Linux on AS.

I have Windows 11 on a ThinkPad laptop from 2007 and it runs good. That's 16 years. I should still replace it with something new, and I plan to eventually, but it's still works just fine. 16 years from now it's possible a current version of Windows and Linux will run on the Mac Pro 7,1. Of course it's not good to have that expectation, but it's certain the useful life will be longer than any AS Mac.

Reactions: H2SO4

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
It's not a wrong idea because the number of years the M1 Studio will be supported by macOS version updates is an unknown, so it is wrong to assume it will receive more years than that. What is certain is that it will reach the vintage list in 5 years and obsolete list in 7. When it does stop receiving updates there won't be a new OS that will run natively on it, unless a lot of progress is made with Linux on AS.

I have Windows 11 on a ThinkPad laptop from 2007 and it runs good. That's 16 years. I should still replace it with something new, and I plan to eventually, but it's still works just fine. 16 years from now it's possible a current version of Windows and Linux will run on the Mac Pro 7,1. Of course it's not good to have that expectation, but it's certain the useful life will be longer than any AS Mac.
Like I said, your commentary that "Apple will end macOS version updates for the M1 Studio in ~3 years" is still wrong. As to what we should assume, I have been buying Macs since the beginning, and yes we can safely plan on 6+ years of upgrades. My 2016 MBP has been getting all OS versions for more than 7 years, up until Ventura, 10/2022. And Monterey (I am now on 12.6.3) still gets security updates now in 2023, even though I cannot move to Ventura.

Like I also already said, long experience has taught me that tech keeps advancing, making it generally appropriate to apply about a 6 year life cycle max on laptops and desktops of the Studio level and below, unencumbered by OS limitations. I found similar life cycles in earlier tower desktop Macs but I do not have knowledge of the workflows and apps the folks that today buy $10K+ Mac Pros are using the big boxes for. Specialty usages of course will engender their own life cycles.

Reactions: Farravi

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
You have gotten all sorts of cold logical arguments but we both know you were fully aware of these before you posted and that your real question is: "I want the MP71 badly, please give me a story to sell to my missus on why I want to spend such a huge amount on a computer".

With this understanding, I would say you are on the right track. Just tell her the MP71 would last for ages compared to the other ones you would need to throw away in a very short time. You can also shed a few tears, a hidden slice of onion can help with this, and talk about the environment and safe guarding the planet for the kids etc if she is inclined to soften on that angle.
Ok this is funny, just cos it's exactly how I feel.

Reactions: Farravi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.