Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zakarhino

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Reposting from the "Black OLED wallpaper" thread in case people can't find instructions. please let me know if this works for you.

How to get true black back:

OPEN SPOILER (to prevent long post)

CHOOSE ANY "COLOR" WALLPAPER IN THE NEW WALLPAPER MENU, THEN:

wyjWiSx.jpg

UZnzRzN.jpg

dPmlivs.jpg

Iasy27R.jpg

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
This did not work on my 12 Pro running beta 3. It works for a split second when the screen first comes on, but a gradient is added after that.

zakarhino

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
This did not work on my 12 Pro running beta 3. It works for a split second when the screen first comes on, but a gradient is added after that.

iOS has been doing this prior to iOS 16. It happens after FaceID authenticates for some reason. I'm going to report it as a bug.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
iOS has been doing this prior to iOS 16. It happens after FaceID authenticates for some reason. I'm going to report it as a bug.
Don't know about older versions, but in iOS 16 it is doing it even if I have the notch covered with my finger when I wake the phone. Pure black for split second then the overlay. If it has anything to do with FaceID I think it is happening as soon as FaceID initializes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.