Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZXMustang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Anywhere to DL this from? I'd like to try it on my 2015 rMBP 13". Im obviously not a dev and have no want or desire to pay the $99 for it. Thanks.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Can't you just wait a few weeks or a month for the public beta!?
It really isn't worth risking some dodgy download assuming one is available.
It seems patience is rare these days.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Can't you just wait a few weeks or a month for the public beta!?
It really isn't worth risking some dodgy download assuming one is available.
It seems patience is rare these days.

Some people just want to try the latest and greatest, what's wrong with that?

IMO, Apple should take a page out of MS's book and have a 'fast track' and 'slow track' for the Public Beta users. You can choose. Some people might want to see every update to see what has changed, others just want to get a taste before it comes out but not have all the bugs.

Personally, I do it because I think it is fun and to file bug reports early. Some people are like me and just flat out nerds who love to see everything take shape.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Apple put a lot of thought into keeping the developer and public betas separate with different schedules. Trust me, you don't want to release buggy code to the general public.

Microsoft is honestly desperate for feedback given the flop that was Windows 8. I would not take a page out of their book…

Wait for El Capitan to hit public beta. It'll be out in the next 2-3 weeks most likely. Sign up here:
https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/welcome

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Some people just want to try the latest and greatest, what's wrong with that?

IMO, Apple should take a page out of MS's book and have a 'fast track' and 'slow track' for the Public Beta users. You can choose. Some people might want to see every update to see what has changed, others just want to get a taste before it comes out but not have all the bugs.

Personally, I do it because I think it is fun and to file bug reports early. Some people are like me and just flat out nerds who love to see everything take shape.

I fall into that category. I'm interested to try out the 'latest and greatest,' and I also like to be a part of shaping the final product. However I will be waiting for the PB. I hope you didn't think I was being rude, I just think it is worth waiting if you can. :) I look forward to trying it out soon.

As someone else mentioned above... MS falls into a whole different category - they need every bit of public support and input that they can get to try and undo the damage and win back the confidence of their users.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
OP, you want to see the latest, you are curious, but either man up the money today or wait for a month and get the free public beta! Apple is considerate enough to release a public beta, all you need to do is wait a month if you want it for free.

Though your attitude is not sitting right - Microsoft made its millions and billions based on software sales alone. Software takes time, energy, money, and skills to build, all of which are chargeable in any other profession, why not software? Why are you unwilling to pay for software, $99 today will get you access to iOS betas as well as MacOS X betas as well as WatchOS betas if you have one. This makes it $33 per product, too high a price to pay for software of such quality?

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Why are you unwilling to pay for software, $99 today will get you access to iOS betas as well as MacOS X betas as well as WatchOS betas if you have one. This makes it $33 per product, too high a price to pay for software of such quality?

I think we forgot where we came from. Let's go back in time 10 years:

• Apple Mac OS X Tiger 10.4 Full Install Set $89.00
• Apple Mac OS X Tiger 10.4 "Retail Box Version" $95.00
• Apple Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.6 "Retail Box Version" $119.00
• Apple Tiger 10.4.x iLife 2005 Bundle $129.99

Today, every OS X update is free, and almost every Mac comes with what was previously iLife and iWork pre-bundled, also for free. Not to mention iOS upgrades were previously paid. $99 gives you access to the latest and greatest for software that used to cost hundreds of dollars. And if you're willing to wait a couple weeks between releases and use the Mac OS X and iOS public betas, we're back to a grand total of $0. Not a bad deal?

So yeah, we should be very, very happy with how things have changed.

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

Today, every OS X update is free, and almost every Mac comes with what was previously iLife and iWork pre-bundled, also for free. Not to mention iOS upgrades were previously paid. $99 gives you access to the latest and greatest for software that used to cost hundreds of dollars. And if you're willing to wait a couple weeks between releases and use the Mac OS X and iOS public betas, we're back to a grand total of $0. Not a bad deal?

Exactly. "Only Apple could have done something so truly amazing." :rolleyes::p

mefistos

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
I am reverting back to yosemite as there are some critical bugs with battery temperature and most of the apps I use are not working anyway... Ill come back after one month for the public beta:)

LucasG

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I'd rather wait for the public beta. I presume public betas are more mature than developers beta. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I see public betas, lol

Developers beta are for developers to start testing the compatibility and development of their apps, yes. It's not for public usage. Now if you decide to go for it, well you have to be ready for anything. ;)

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I'd rather wait for the public beta. I presume public betas are more mature than developers beta. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I see public betas, lol
Sometimes, the public betas end up having a build version that's identical to a developer preview that had come out a few days or a week before. It all depends on whether that build is deemed stable enough for public use. Notice the phrase "stable enough" versus "stable." :p

Queen6

macrumors G4

So you don't think that`s not "baked" into the cost of every Apple device produced? We are all paying for Apples`s software one way or the other, whether we want it or not. Things have definitely changed, and I am sure Apple is very happy with it o_O

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.