Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
Hi All,

In another part of the forum I asked a question about my 2011 iMac which I had been happily using and still worked for the uses I had up until a couple of weeks ago at which point when I was using it the screen suddenly turned off and when I now try to turn the iMac on it sounds like it’s going to start up but there is nothing on the screen. As per this forum post I’ve been advised that the iMac has a GPU that has failed and that it is unfortunately now uneconomical to repair and will need to be replaced. Per this forum post:-

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-2011-27-inch-blank-screen.2415873/

Ironically I had just created a spreadsheet because I was comparing some options from buying a new Mac Mini or iMac because I was saving up to hopefully buy a new desktop later this year. That plan may now have to be brought forwards a bit however it may still have to wait a while until I have the funds to buy a new computer and so that poses a different question which I’ll ask as well. But my main concern is how can I now get my files and data off the now broken iMac.

On the now broken iMac it did have Time Machine on and it was connected to an external hard disk. I also had a version of Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) on it although it was an older version of CCC and not the most up to date. This has caused a problem because last year I lost my entire iTunes Library which was stored on an external hard disk and I thought I could use CCC to recover the iTunes library because that was the reason I’d brought CCC. Unfortunately that didn’t appear possible and I contacted the software company who produce CCC and they advised that my older version of CCC didn’t have the restore options of the more recent versions of CCC and so I kind of lost faith in CCC because it didn’t help me I lost my entire iTunes Library.

Prior to my iMac breaking I’d planned that when I brought a new Mac I’d get a cable to connect the two Macs and use Migration Assistant to transfer data to the new Mac. However I guess that now Migration Assistant is not an option?

Therefore is my best bet going to be looking to use something called Target Disk Mode? For that I’d assume that I’d still need a cable to connect the old broker iMac to any new Mac? Then what happens with Target Disk Mode? Can you sort of see the Desktop screen of your old Mac and look at all of your folders & files via the Finder and you could somehow copy or drag across the files that you need from your old broken computer? Or is it more a case of if you use Target Disk Mode you just have an option to copy the entire hard disk from the old broken iMac?

Alternatively am I better trying to use Time Machine to achieve the same thing or does that not retrieve all of your previous iMacs files?

Just as something else to consider because I don’t really have enough funds to buy the new Mac immediately if it has to wait a few months I take it there’s no time limit on the length of time I have to start this process and try to transfer my old files to a new Mac even if that’s in a few months time?

I do also have an offer of using someone elses Mac in the meantime. My father in law has a 2012 Mac Mini which he uses only say once a month or less and so he’s said that I could borrow it if I wanted to. As an interim measure this might be helpful prior to me saving up enough to buy my own new Mac.

If I do borrow this Mac Mini from my father in law would it be best just to use it as it is without transferring any of my data or files to it? Or could I transfer some of the files that I want from my own iMac to this loaned Mac Mini and then in a few months time onto a new Mac that I buy? One issue I could see with this is my iMac had a 1TB hard drive and it was a good 90% used and the potential loan Mac Mini only has a 256GB hard drive.

Many thanks in advance for any advice on this which will be much appreciated!

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
[...| I’ve been advised that the iMac has a GPU that has failed and that it is unfortunately now uneconomical to repair and will need to be replaced.
You can replace the iMac's dead GPU with a more modern, reliable one and resurrect the machine. Whether this is considered economical or not is quite subjective.

Prior to my iMac breaking I’d planned that when I brought a new Mac I’d get a cable to connect the two Macs and use Migration Assistant to transfer data to the new Mac. However I guess that now Migration Assistant is not an option?
You can use Migration Asisstant if the broken iMac still boots into Target Disk Mode (you don't need a working GPU for that) or you remove the hard drive and put it into an external (e.g. USB to SATA) enclosure.

Therefore is my best bet going to be looking to use something called Target Disk Mode? For that I’d assume that I’d still need a cable to connect the old broker iMac to any new Mac? Then what happens with Target Disk Mode?
Target Disk Mode makes the drive in the target Mac visible as an external drive to another Mac. You need either a FireWire 800 cable (if the other Mac has FireWire), Thunderbolt 1/2 cable (if the other Mac has Thunderbolt 1/2) or a Thunderbolt 1/2 cable and Apple's Thunderbolt 1/2 to 3/4 adapter (if the other Mac has Thunderbolt 3/4). Connect the two Macs, boot the target (broken) Mac while holding the [T] key on its keyboard, and the target Mac's drive will (hopefully) appear on the other Mac's desktop, allowing you to copy some or all of your data, use Migration Assistant or whatever you want.

If I do borrow this Mac Mini from my father in law would it be best just to use it as it is without transferring any of my data or files to it? Or could I transfer some of the files that I want from my own iMac to this loaned Mac Mini and then in a few months time onto a new Mac that I buy?
You can transfer some of your files, yes, or even put your old iMac's hard drive in an external enclosure and boot the Mac mini from it, pretty much continuing where you were when the iMac decided to call it quits.

Last edited:

John_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
Hi Amethyst1,

Thank you very much for your reply and of that information which is much appreciated.

I will have a read through all of it and try to work out the best way forwards.

I didn’t know that I can replace my current 2011 iMac’s broken GPU and I will read about that but I’m not particularly technically minded so don’t know if that might be a bit beyond my capabilities but I’ll certainly have a read about it.

Thanks, John

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
If you are not particularly technical minded, don't do anything just yet.

1. Buy your new Mac.
2. Plug in you external HDD which has been backed-up recently, I suppose.
3. Power-up your new Mac and do a restore from back-up, this is the default function of Mac OS.
4. Check to see if your new Mac has all the files you want.
5. If not, then the next step will be search and extract them from the internal HDD of your iMac 2011.

If you are going to borrow the Mac Mini 2012, 2 things to do first
1. Check if it has an SSD/HDD big enough to hold all your files
2. Do a clean install/recovery of Mac OS.
Now proceed from step 2 above.

John_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2024
Hi Nguyen Duc Hieu,

Thanks for writing down those steps for me which is really helpful.

When I get the 2012 Mac Mini that I plan on borrowing I will check the hard disk size but from memory I’m pretty sure it’s 256GB and won’t be large enough to transfer everything from my iMac which had a 1TB hard disk which I think was around 90% used.

Just one thought / question is there any downside to copying to a new Mac your entire HD from an old Mac? I’m probably not asking the question very clearly but I’m just wondering if for example there are advantages to just having a clean install of Mac OSX on a new Mac and somehow just dragging & dropping across/ copying from the old Mac just the files or folders (say photos or Music) that you actually want? Does this help to avoid copying g across any unwanted clutter from your old Mac or is there no real advantage to doing this (if it’s even possible).

Many thanks!

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Most Macs can be used in "target disk mode".

You can hold down T (I think) during boot (even if screen doesn't work, etc.) and then plug the Mac into your new Mac via USB/thunderbolt.

I haven't tried this recently or with FileVault, but conceptually the device should work just like it was an external disk on your new Mac.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
You can hold down T (I think) during boot (even if screen doesn't work, etc.) and then plug the Mac into your new Mac via USB/thunderbolt.
2011 Macs don’t do TDM via USB. Just FireWire and Thunderbolt. USB TDM was introduced with the 2015 MacBook.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Most Macs can be used in "target disk mode".

I haven't tried this recently or with FileVault, but conceptually the device should work just like it was an external disk on your new Mac.

Just somethings to consider:
1. Target Disk Mode require Thunderbolt 1/2 cable male to male, which might not readily available for every Mac user.
2. OP already has his Time Machine External Disk.
3. Migrating your old files to new Mac (also new OS) using Time Machine function is an automatic process, while copying files from a Mac in target disk mode is not always so.

Hi Nguyen Duc Hieu,

Thanks for writing down those steps for me which is really helpful.

When I get the 2012 Mac Mini that I plan on borrowing I will check the hard disk size but from memory I’m pretty sure it’s 256GB and won’t be large enough to transfer everything from my iMac which had a 1TB hard disk which I think was around 90% used.

Just one thought / question is there any downside to copying to a new Mac your entire HD from an old Mac? I’m probably not asking the question very clearly but I’m just wondering if for example there are advantages to just having a clean install of Mac OSX on a new Mac and somehow just dragging & dropping across/ copying from the old Mac just the files or folders (say photos or Music) that you actually want? Does this help to avoid copying g across any unwanted clutter from your old Mac or is there no real advantage to doing this (if it’s even possible).

Many thanks!
It's personal choice, I guess.
Restore your file from Time Machine is an automatic process, files, library setting, personal setting, website cookies are supposed to be restored (you can choose what to restore, also) from old Macs (old Mac OS) to new Macs (new Mac OSs)

Clone disk using CCC is more convenient when you don't want to change anything, running your old setting and MacOS on a new/different Mac.
Newer version CCC also provide Time Machine function, but why bother use it when Apple already provides it for free?

Manually select and copy your files also has its advantage: You just get what you need.
The downside of it is: Maybe you need several times to copy all the files and setting you need, like old emails, web cookies (i.e password records etc), library setting (album covers etc.).

Personally, I prefer the cloning, as I don't have to re-install all the applications, but going through your disk to clean up and free some disk space is also necessary some time.

And another suggestion:
If you are sure the HDD from your 2011 iMac is still working fine:
1. Remove it from your iMac 2011.
2. Put it to an USB enclosure,
3. When you get the Mac Mini 2012, plug the USB enclosure to any USB port of the Mac Mini as an external disk,
4. Power-up the Mac Mini and press Option to select booting from external USB disk.
The first time it would take some time to adjust the setting and driver, but basically you will feel like working on your own iMac, with all the old password, emails, setting, library, etc.

I've done this a few times, booting my iMac 2009, 2010, 2011 with one external SSD via the USB port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.