Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob.0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
Early 2011 Macbook Pro, macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Somehow a program called Clover got installed on my machine and I think it's causing some issues. I didn't install it (according to my memory), but I want it gone as it seems to be screwing around with a few things.

I use my MBP in clamshell mode, with external peripherals, and lately whenever it goes to sleep after 15mins or so, I can't wake it up and have to restart it. I became aware that Clover was on the machine after the first time this happened, as a "Clover" splash screen with boot options came up. I had no idea what it was.

The other thing I've only just noticed is, when I click on "About this Mac", I get incorrect, info. It says it's a iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), which it's not.

So how do I get rid of this thing and get everything back to normal?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Can't you uninstall it like any other program by dragging it in the bin?

Disclaimer:I never heard of clover

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I used AppCleaner for years and loved it! Finally broke down a while back and purchased CleanMyMac 3 which I can also highly recommend but it's not free like AppCleaner is.

OP are you talking about Clover the boot loader? If so then that is going to be far more of a detailed removal.

Reactions: aevan

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Apparently Clover is an EFI Bootloader on the Mac
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

OP, how long have you had your Mac? Did you buy it used?
Do you have Windows or Linux installed on another partition?

It looks like your best bet is going to be to do some serious Googling of Clover and how to get rid of it
From what I can tell, you may have to do a wipe and clean install of the drive to truly be rid of it

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Apparently Clover is an EFI Bootloader on the Mac
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

OP, how long have you had your Mac? Did you buy it used?
Do you have Windows or Linux installed on another partition?

It looks like your best bet is going to be to do some serious Googling of Clover and how to get rid of it
From what I can tell, you may have to do a wipe and clean install of the drive to truly be rid of it

Yeah I had the same thought. It's going to be a pain to remove and I don't see how it could have been setup and configured without the OP knowing unless the machine was purchased 2nd hand.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
The other thing I've only just noticed is, when I click on "About this Mac", I get incorrect, info. It says it's a iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), which it's not.

The Clover bootloader and bogus 'About this Mac' info are exactly what you'd find on a Hackintosh (i.e. a regular PC with MacOS installed on it). Sounds like someone has created a Hackintosh MacOS installer stick and installed from that. That means there could be all sorts of odd driver configurations on it, too.

That's not something you could have done accidentally! Is it second-hand? Have you recently installed MacOS from a memory stick or CD of dubious provenance?

I'd back up your files, re-download Sierra from the store (or boot from the recovery partition - if its still there) and do a disc-wipe and clean install.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I used AppCleaner for years and loved it! Finally broke down a while back and purchased CleanMyMac 3 which I can also highly recommend but it's not free like AppCleaner is.

OP are you talking about Clover the boot loader? If so then that is going to be far more of a detailed removal.

Btw, what are the advantages of CleanMyMac over AppCleaner? I know it had things like trash cleanup and similar, but doesn’t the new macOS “Manage disk space” option does that too? Is it worth it?

Also, one more recommendation for those that want to clean up things on their Mac: DaisyDisk.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Btw, what are the advantages of CleanMyMac over AppCleaner? I know it had things like trash cleanup and similar, but doesn’t the new macOS “Manage disk space” option does that too? Is it worth it?

Also, one more recommendation for those that want to clean up things on their Mac: DaisyDisk.

Not sure if it adds any value that can't be done for free but it's a one stop convince shop for me. I didn't pay for $40 for it so here is a tip to get half off.. Download the trial and when you go to uninstall it, you'll get a half off offer before it does so. Click the link and bam! $20... I would not have paid $40 for it and was going to uninstall and use the other options like AppCleaner but for $20 I figured what the heck..

Reactions: Queen6 and aevan

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Not sure if it adds any value that can't be done for free but it's a one stop convince shop for me. I didn't pay for $40 for it so here is a tip to get half off.. Download the trial and when you go to uninstall it, you'll get a half off offer before it does so. Click the link and bam! $20... I would not have paid $40 for it and was going to uninstall and use the other options like AppCleaner but for $20 I figured what the heck..

Thanks for the tip!

Rob.0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
Hi again, apologise for the long delay on replying. So I finally got rid of it, as far as I can tell. For future reference, I followed some advice from someone on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/4ueiww/how_to_remove_clover_if_you_accidentally/ who had a similar issue.
I just typed in this command: diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1 to mount the EFI, and just deleted the entire EFI folder, then rebooted it. It went straight to the Apple logo, and my About Mac info is now back to normal...hopefully it doesn't shutdown when it goes to sleep now.

As for the above questions:
- I bought the Mac new, according to the EFI folder, it was created in October 2017...still no idea how it got installed, my mac is very secure both in terms of physical and online access...maybe it piggybacked another app I installed??

moxin

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Hello, I accidentally installed Clover Bootmanager on my Macbook Pro, please help me step by step how to restore, i have no data on my machine and i can clean install any macOS version

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
Can't you uninstall it like any other program by dragging it in the bin?

Disclaimer:I never heard of clover

Don't fall for the oversimplified, misinformed hype of "just drag it to the trash".

Device drivers, browser plugins, shared libraries, QuickLook plugins, context menu plugins, and other components are not applications that can "just drag to the trash". No need to bother saying "just look in Library or Extensions or Application Support..." because the (false) assumption is that *everything* has an icon that is visible in the /Applications folder.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.