Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I jailbroke my iPhone in late May and did enjoy the jailbreak, but when iOS 14 was introduced I realized that many of the new features such as PiP are gonna work just fine for me w/o needing a jailbreak.

Long story short, I have over 100GB's on my iPhone worth of photos that I don't want to have to reload onto my iPhone from my Mac and ideally just want to get rid of the jailbreak on my iPhone, w/o the need of even using my Mac and most importantly not losing any of my 100GB's worth of photos.

Simply stated, how can I get rid of the jailbreak on my iPhone? The AltServer keys have long expired for me and haven't been able to use Cydia or any JB feature for weeks now. My MBP is currently at my folks house due to quarantine and I won't be back in their home state for another month at least. I just have my iPhone in hand and wish to remove all traces of having been jailbroken.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Here is my method:

1. Open iTunes and connect phone. Backup.
2. With iTunes still open, turn phone off, put in DFU Mode
3. When iTune detects phone, upgrade and restore as new.
4. Once complete, use iTunes to restore from the backup you made in #1.

Things have changed a lot with semi-untethered jailbreaks though. You might look into RootFS.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
If you are on Unc0ver, Just tap on your JB icon and tap on settings and enable RootFS and then run it. It will remove the JB.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.