Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vestaviascott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
I rented a movie from iTunes recently and noticed that when swiping to reveal the top info/audio panel they had cleverly enhanced this panel to place the scene select thumbnails (similar to what you would see on a Bluray movie) to allow quick access to scene bookmarks.

I've just recently purchased an ATV4 so they may have been doing this for some time for all I know.

I'm curious how difficult this is to implement from a developer perspective.

I'm asking because I have never seen this done on Apple TV outside of this rented movie. Perhaps we may start seeing this feature utilized in premium content apps like HBO and Showtime and maybe even VOD content as developer's learn to implement it. It's a really cool feature that would appear to set the ATV4 apart from other streamers.

It's the kind of user friendly UI I'd expect to see if Apple were to launch its own streaming service. It's in the details.

Last edited:

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Plex does it also, but only if the media is encoded in M4V or MP4. Plex on a Roku does it for all video, regardless of format. Most video players display thumbnails when scrubbing, regardless of platform -- unusual if they don't.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.