Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etoegor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
Hello. I know that my ipad 10.5 supports usb 3.0, but i dont know how to get usb 3.0 speeds, if the standard lightning cable based on usb 2.0. What should I buy? Please help. I have win10 PC with 3.0 usb ports (no type C)

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
The iPad Pro can work as USB 3.0 host (e.g. when connecting SD cards to it for transferring photos). Unfortunately, computer to iPad is limited to USB 2.0.

How do you know if a computer is limited to USB 2.0 if for example you have Thunderbolt 3 which is supposed to support up to 40Gbps data transfer speeds via USB C port? Are there certain sync speeds set for iTunes?

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
They sold the iPad as being USB 3.0 however it was complete BS. You can’t get 3.0 speeds in any shape or form except with photos using their adapter.

There’s a few threads going into great detail and frustration about it.

Reactions: Wackery and Homme

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I think only the 2018 iPad Pro which uses the USB C Port are actually getting USB 3.1 gen 2 speed.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
They sold the iPad as being USB 3.0 however it was complete BS. You can’t get 3.0 speeds in any shape or form except with photos using their adapter.

There’s a few threads going into great detail and frustration about it.

I think that is quite possible as sync speeds are quite slow for me. They do seem a bit faster syncing though compared to my iPhone 8 Plus though. I do wish though that Apple would post some sort numbers on their cable specs of which they do not and also post some numbers under their actual smartphone and iPad specs as well. Apple only posts the info and specs of support for this particular cable only. Would be nice if they did the same for the rest of the Apple cables along with smartphones and iPads as well.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
How do you know if a computer is limited to USB 2.0 if for example you have Thunderbolt 3 which is supposed to support up to 40Gbps data transfer speeds via USB C port? Are there certain sync speeds set for iTunes?
Several people have tested USB-C and USB 3.0 to Lightning on iPad Pro 1st and 2nd gen and have reported that speed was limited to USB 2.0.

Dunno about USB-C to USB-C on iPad Pro 3rd gen.

loikut64g

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
@rui no onna

I tested it a few months ago.

All iPad Pro (the same is also for iPhones) with Lightning can only use USB 2.0 via cable to Mac or PC.

Note: Mac and PC is always the host.

iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 7 Plus and iPad Pro 12.9 (2017) tested with MacBook Pro 2017 (4x Thunderbolt 3 - USB-C ports) and Windows Gaming PC (PCIe NVMe SSD, USB 3 ports). I have tested many cables from standard cables in the box, some models from Anker and Amazon and USB-C to Lightning cables.

The file size was a recorded 3 GB video file and other large files (23x mkv files = 70 GB).
Mac and PC is always the host.
Transfer files via iTunes File Sharing or since macOS 10.15 (Finder -> Device -> Files)

3 GB video file
Mac or PC <- iPhone and iPad Pro (Ø 19 MB/s) (read speed) (02:49 min)

Mac or PC -> iPhone and iPad Pro (Ø 30 MB/s) (write speed) (01:47 min)

70 GB video files (23x mkv files)
Mac or PC <- iPhone and iPad Pro (Ø 18 MB/s) (read speed) (69 min)

Mac or PC -> iPhone and iPad Pro (Ø 28 MB/s) (write speed) (44 min)

Conclusion:

You cannot transfer files with PC or Mac and iPad Pro 10.5/12.9 at USB 3 speed via cable. It is always USB 2.0 speed. The USB 2.0 speed is also bit slower than other USB 2.0 non-Apple devices.

Overview:

USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/s) (60 MB/s)

USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 Gbit/s) (625 MB/s)

USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gbit/s) (1250 MB/s)

USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20 Gbits) (2500 MB/s)

Last edited:
Reactions: Henk Poley

loikut64g

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
Here are the results with an iPad Pro 11 (2018) it has USB-C and latest iPadOS 14 version.

3 GB video file
Mac or PC <- iPhone and iPad Pro (Ø 90 MB/s) (read speed) (33 sec)

Mac or PC -> iPhone and iPad Pro (Ø 80 MB/s) (write speed) (38 sec)

Mac or PC <- iPhone and iPad Pro (Ø 90 MB/s) (read speed) (13 min)

Mac or PC -> iPhone and iPad Pro (Ø 80 MB/s) (write speed) (14 min)

Conclusion:
The speed is very low for a USB-C device with USB 3 speed. Other USB-C devices with USB 3 speed, e.g. an external HDD or Android smartphones (OnePlus 8 Pro, Huawei Mate 30) or Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S6), can achieve more than 150 MB/s up to 250 MB/s.

I also have an external SSD and they achieve more than 800 MB/s. If I copy these 23x mkv files to the SSD it is done in less than 1 min.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henk Poley

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
@rui no onna

I tested it a few months ago.

All iPad Pro (the same is also for iPhones) with Lightning can only use USB 2.0 via cable to Mac or PC.

iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 7 Plus and iPad Pro 12.9 (2017) tested with MacBook Pro 2017 (4x Thunderbolt 3 - USB-C ports) and Windows Gaming PC (PCIe NVMe SSD, USB 3 ports). I have tested many cables from standard cables in the box, some models from Anker and Amazon and USB-C to Lightning cables.

The file size was a recorded 3 GB video file and other large files (23x mkv files = 70 GB).
Mac and PC is always the host.
Transfer files via iTunes File Sharing or since macOS 10.15 (Finder -> Device -> Files)

3 GB video file
Mac or PC <- iPhone and iPad Pro (Ø 19 MB/s) (read speed) (02:49 min)

Mac or PC -> iPhone and iPad Pro (Ø 30 MB/s) (write speed) (01:47 min)

Mac or PC <- iPhone and iPad Pro (Ø 18 MB/s) (read speed) (69 min)

Mac or PC -> iPhone and iPad Pro (Ø 28 MB/s) (write speed) (44 min)

Conclusion:

You cannot transfer files with PC or Mac and iPad Pro 10.5/12.9 at USB 3 speed via cable. It is always USB 2.0 speed. The USB 2.0 speed is also bit slower than other USB 2.0 non-Apple devices.

Overview:

USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/s) (60 MB/s)

USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 Gbit/s) (625 MB/s)

USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gbit/s) (1250 MB/s)

USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20 Gbits) (2500 MB/s)
Oh I believe you but seeing your post reminds me of this thread which you should take a look at.

I had to deal with a certain member who believes all lightning iPads and iPhones have USB 3.0 when it is proven which lightning devices have USB 3.0?

also I’m surprised at how low the USB C iPad Pros are in your other post. 90 Mb/80mbps speed is crap for USB C though.

lasb733m

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2020
Apple is always against the user, what happens here is one of the reasons why I won't buy iPhones, iPads and other Apple products in the future. I didn't buy the iPad Pro because of this problem.

It's not a Pro device, it's an overpriced mid-range hardware product just like my iPhone 11 Pro Max (512 GB). I'm angry that Apple still doesn't have USB 3.0 in an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

After my research and Apple's attitude to progress, it all became clear.
Apple's main goal has always been that the iOS/iPadOS products should not become independent, but in the control of Apple (even if you have paid a lot of money).

In fact, there are other things generally integrated into iOS/iPadOS where you are always bound to Apple servers before you can use the device. For example, you can't set up iOS/iPadOS devices locally. You always need Internet activation and App Store (for App installation).

Apple really hates the users and we just have to remain dependent on Apple.

This is Apple's highest goal (to build a dependent server system and always be against the user). And they use their great market power to prevent better and cheaper solutions. Apple has many friends in business and politics to keep up the illusion that their products are supposedly the best, although they only use their market power to prevent real progress.

One of the reasons why Files app for file management in general is very badly designed. No data transfer bar, a lot of bugs and other problems. The Files app from Apple still has extremely little functionality and for years the problems have not been fixed because Apple tries to store your data in the cloud and not locally with good File Explorer app. Apple did this on purpose.

All the reports (bug, bad hardware, glitch UI, etc.) from the users are intended by Apple. Apple does not want to fix them, so that you always remain dependent on Apple. One of their concepts is that you're totally dependent and wasting time.
I'm not talking about problems with a new technology in the technology industry or software industry. But technologies that have been around for decades.

It was the first time I was really busy with Android devices and Windows/Linux PC and Notebook. Had a computer before, but all still had USB 2.0.

Then I bought a Samsung Galaxy S10+ (512 GB), USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 cable, a Windows PC and a Windows Notebook.

Here are the test results.

20 files (total 20,0 GB)
Note:

Device to PC/Notebook = write speed

PC/Notebook to device = read speed

PC with internal HDD hard disk
Galaxy S10+ to PC:
125 MB/s - 130 MB/s
Time: 2 minutes 10 seconds

PC to Galaxy S10+:
140 MB/s - 150 MB/s
Time: 1 minute 50 seconds

11 Pro Max to PC:
30 MB/s - 35 MB/s

PC to 11 Pro Max:
30 MB/s - 35 MB/s
Time: 8 minutes 40 seconds

Notebook with internal SDD hard disk:

Galaxy S10+ to Notebook:
175 MB/s - 190 MB/s
Time: 1 minute 30 seconds

Notebook to Galaxy S10+:
190 MB/s - 200 MB/s
Time: 1 minute 25 seconds

11 Pro Max to Notebook:
30 MB/s - 35 MB/s

Notebook to 11 Pro Max:
30 MB/s - 35 MB/s

But the fact is that the transmission is 5x faster than my iPhone 11 Pro Max.

I also wanted to buy the iPad Pro, but I see it's even worse than Android smartphone.

I've looked further and found out that there is a gaming smartphones (Asus ROG Phone 2 and Asus ROG Phone 3) and that supports USB 3.2 Generation 2 (10 Gbit/s)
I've read that the ROG Phone 2 and ROG Phone 3 users can handle 500 MB/s to 700 MB/s (assuming you have very fast SSD hard drive and USB 3.2 Generation 2 cable).

Last edited:

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Apple is always against the user, what happens here is one of the reasons why I won't buy iPhones, iPads and other Apple products in the future. I didn't buy the iPad Pro because of this problem.

It's not a Pro device, it's an overpriced mid-range hardware product just like my iPhone 11 Pro Max (512 GB). I'm angry that Apple still doesn't have USB 3.0 in an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

After my research and Apple's attitude to progress, it all became clear.
Apple's main goal has always been that the iOS/iPadOS products should not become independent, but in the control of Apple (even if you have paid a lot of money).

In fact, there are other things generally integrated into iOS/iPadOS where you are always bound to Apple servers before you can use the device. For example, you can't set up iOS/iPadOS devices locally. You always need Internet activation and App Store (for App installation).

Apple really hates the users and we just have to remain dependent on Apple.

This is Apple's highest goal (to build a dependent server system and always be against the user). And they use their great market power to prevent better and cheaper solutions. Apple has many friends in business and politics to keep up the illusion that their products are supposedly the best, although they only use their market power to prevent real progress.

One of the reasons why Files app for file management in general is very badly designed. No data transfer bar, a lot of bugs and other problems. The Files app from Apple still has extremely little functionality and for years the problems have not been fixed because Apple tries to store your data in the cloud and not locally with good File Explorer app. Apple did this on purpose.

All the reports (bug, bad hardware, glitch UI, etc.) from the users are intended by Apple. Apple does not want to fix them, so that you always remain dependent on Apple. One of their concepts is that you're totally dependent and wasting time.
I'm not talking about problems with a new technology in the technology industry or software industry. But technologies that have been around for decades.

It was the first time I was really busy with Android devices and Windows/Linux PC and Notebook. Had a computer before, but all still had USB 2.0.

Then I bought a Samsung Galaxy S10+ (512 GB), USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 cable, a Windows PC and a Windows Notebook.

Here are the test results.

20 files (total 20,0 GB)
Note:

Device to PC/Notebook = write speed

PC/Notebook to device = read speed

PC with internal HDD hard disk
Galaxy S10+ to PC:
125 MB/s - 130 MB/s
Time: 2 minutes 10 seconds

PC to Galaxy S10+:
140 MB/s - 150 MB/s
Time: 1 minute 50 seconds

11 Pro Max to PC:
30 MB/s - 35 MB/s

PC to 11 Pro Max:
30 MB/s - 35 MB/s

Notebook with internal SDD hard disk:

Galaxy S10+ to Notebook:
175 MB/s - 190 MB/s
Time: 1 minute 30 seconds

Notebook to Galaxy S10+:
190 MB/s - 200 MB/s
Time: 1 minute 25 seconds

11 Pro Max to Notebook:
30 MB/s - 35 MB/s

Notebook to 11 Pro Max:
30 MB/s - 35 MB/s

But the fact is that the transmission is 5x faster than my iPhone 11 Pro Max.

I also wanted to buy the iPad Pro, but I see it's even worse than Android smartphone.

I've looked further and found out that there is a gaming smartphones (Asus ROG Phone 2 and Asus ROG Phone 3) and that supports USB 3.2 Generation 2 (10 Gbit/s)
I've read that the ROG Phone 2 and ROG Phone 3 users can handle 500 MB/s to 700 MB/s (assuming you have very fast SSD hard drive and USB 3.2 Generation 2 cable).
Are you okay?

Reactions: Henk Poley and max2

Galach

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
Did you try external ssd with iPad Pro 2017 and modern iPhones?
On my iPad Air 2020 via usb-c it gives nice speed, but I have no usb-lightning adapter to test pro 2017

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Did you try external ssd with iPad Pro 2017 and modern iPhones?
On my iPad Air 2020 via usb-c it gives nice speed, but I have no usb-lightning adapter to test pro 2017
man this is a thread from years ago... any iPad pro except the 9.7 has USB 3.0 speed with external SSDs

Galach

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
man this is a thread from years ago... any iPad pro except the 9.7 has USB 3.0 speed with external SSDs
I have exactly iPad Pro 10.5 2017. And I’m more interested in USB 3.0 via lightning. Until now I thought that it’s technically impossible to have them both. That’s why we all need USB-C. But now if it’s not like that I can’t understand why on the iPhone it’s still such slow speed.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have exactly iPad Pro 10.5 2017. And I’m more interested in USB 3.0 via lightning. Until now I thought that it’s technically impossible to have them both. That’s why we all need USB-C. But now if it’s not like that I can’t understand why on the iPhone it’s still such slow speed.
USB 3.0 is on iPad pro since the 2015 first gen pro, but you need to plug in power to the adapter at the same time. And it only works with the CCK adapter, not with lightning to USB cables, which do not supports 3.0 speeds. Contrary to non USB 2.0 lightning iPads this means you can also use mechanical hard drives, which require too much power for USB 2.0 iPads like the pro 9.7 and the non pro iPads, even when you plug power into the adapter. I don't know about recent iPhones but my guess is that they only support USB 2.0. Hope it's clear.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
USB 3.0 is on iPad pro since the 2015 first gen pro, but you need to plug in power to the adapter at the same time. And it only works with the CCK adapter, not with lightning to USB cables, which do not supports 3.0 speeds. Contrary to non USB 2.0 lightning iPads this means you can also use mechanical hard drives, which require too much power for USB 2.0 iPads like the pro 9.7 and the non pro iPads, even when you plug power into the adapter. I don't know about recent iPhones but my guess is that they only support USB 2.0. Hope it's clear.

All other lightning iPhones support USB 2.0 and yes this extends to the iPhone 13 lineup, even I have seen plenty of reviews of people reviewing the iPhone 13 and especially transferring prores via lightning and mentioning that it took a long time to transfer via lightning because the poet is still USB 2.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.