Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GammaNumeric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2019
Wanted to buy a MacBook Pro so I went to the store to try one out.
I have a 144Hz Monitor at home so the 60Hz Monitor felt very stuttery and incredibly cheap to me.
I like MacBooks in theory and would love to buy one but I can’t bring myself to spend a premium on something feeling dirt cheap to me.

• Haha
Reactions: faust

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Buy a gaming laptop instead.
This, MacBook Pro 16in battery life is already not amazing. Can't imagine what it'd be like with an 120hz display. I guess I'm lucky I've only had 60hz display because most of the time it feels pretty smooth and only feels stutters if I zip down to the bottom of a web page as fast as I can.

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
This, MacBook Pro 16in battery life is already not amazing. Can't imagine what it'd be like with an 120hz display. I guess I'm lucky I've only had 60hz display because most of the time it feels pretty smooth and only feels stutters if I zip down to the bottom of a web page as fast as I can.
What do you mean, battery life is not good? I can only get 6-7 hours from my loaded surface book 2, while doing the same things on the mbp16 I can get 11+ hours (safari browsing, music via headphones).

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wanted to buy a MacBook Pro so I went to the store to try one out.
I have a 144Hz Monitor at home so the 60Hz Monitor felt very stuttery and incredibly cheap to me.
I like MacBooks in theory and would love to buy one but I can’t bring myself to spend a premium on something feeling dirt cheap to me.

Sounds like you bought into too much gaming snake oil. I bet you're lamenting the lack of programmable RGB on the Macbook Pro too. ?

Reactions: 26139

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
What do you mean, battery life is not good? I can only get 6-7 hours from my loaded surface book 2, while doing the same things on the mbp16 I can get 11+ hours (safari browsing, music via headphones).
I've just heard mixed reports about it. Maybe its because people were using it during the indexing. Regardless I wouldn't sacrifice battery for less ghosting or a higher refresh rate. It's just not important to my workflow. If apple can fix the damm popping next update it will basically be a perfect laptop for my needs.

Reactions: idktbh and sat24

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I have found the battery life to be quite variable, depending on what you're doing. Of course this is always true with portables, but because the 16" MBP is potentially so powerful, I get the impression that it's possible to drain the battery extremely quickly if you're really taxing it.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I get about 9-10 hours on my 16" regularly, still trying to decide if I can get used to the screen or if it is a good one.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
I have monitors that range from 60Hz to 144Hz. I honestly could not tell you the difference between them and, quite frankly, I would put the retina display right at the top of my favorite screens in use.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I get about 9-10 hours on my 16" regularly, still trying to decide if I can get used to the screen or if it is a good one.

I used to get days on my 16" when I had it, in terms of the battery life.

That thing was incredible.

I'm back on my 2019 15" now, the base model

I just leave it in plugged in. No big deal since I only use it in one place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.