Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverlakerCA

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2020
The two-USB-C-only iMac has me wondering how I do the following:

add my second monitor (which I connect via USB-C) -
AND...
use my wired Keychron keyboard
and
use my wired trackball

I have an unused Anker USB-A hub and can my second monitor via-USB-C somehow go into that via some adapter?

I didn't have this issue on my Mac Mini but now I do.
That's why I can really use your advice.
Thank you.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Is there any reason you need to connect the monitor with USB C (e.g. USB ports on the monitor itself?). What monitor is it? You might be able to get away with using a USB C to displayport/HDMI cable to a USB C hub. You could also just use a DP/HDMI cable from the monitor if it supports that.

If that hub you mention just has USB A that's a no go but why not just plug the trackball and keyboard into the hub?

silverlakerCA

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2020
The Dell 22119H came without displayport or other cables (charity shop $40 bargain).
I just double-checked and it's an HDMI to USB-C cable that works in the remaining (second) USB C input in the iMac.

I see in Amazon there's an HDMI to USB A cable that would allow me to use my Anker USB-A hub.
Had I known about the limitations of only two USB C inputs I would have gone with a new mac mini but that won't fix the irritating problem I face right now.

I have a USB-C to USB-A adapter but that doesn't let me use the Dell 2219H second monitor. I keep getting an error message: "No HDMI signal from your device"

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
USB A doesn't support video. Don't waste money on an HDMI to USB A cable either. It's either going to not work or have to do some weird compression software magic with quality loss to work.

You can buy a USB C hub with USB A and an HDMI port and that would work.

And I don't understand why you can't just plug the trackball and keyboard into the hub and then use the monitor with USB C? That would be two ports.

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
The two-USB-C-only iMac has me wondering how I do the following:

add my second monitor (which I connect via USB-C) -
AND...
use my wired Keychron keyboard
and
use my wired trackball

I have an unused Anker USB-A hub and can my second monitor via-USB-C somehow go into that via some adapter?

I didn't have this issue on my Mac Mini but now I do.
That's why I can really use your advice.
Thank you.

I guess the 2nd monitor can occupy 1 USB-C port.
The other devices can be connected via 1 USB-C dock. Price range $20~

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The OP comments:
"Had I known about the limitations of only two USB C inputs I would have gone with a new mac mini but that won't fix the irritating problem I face right now."

This is why I wouldn't recommend the "2-port" iMac to anyone.
Just "not enough ports" for a [supposedly] "desktop" computer.
No ethernet, either.
Honestly... what were they thinking...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.