Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tx4app

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
Austin TX
I have a couple credit cards set up and operating fine using Apple Pay on my iPhone 7 (running iOS 10.2.1). Can anyone comment on what happens and what procedure, if any, is needed if I travel to another country and swap out the SIM card local to that other country? Let's say the country I'm visiting also has banks that support Apple Pay (in case that matters). After swapping out the SIM, will I lose the ability to use my existing, registered cards in Apple Pay? Do I have to reactivate them somehow, and if so, does anyone know the step-by-step means to do that? For example, should I remove the cards from the Wallet even before removing my original SIM, and only re-add the cards after installing the new SIM? Is there a possibility that I will not be able to reactivate the cards; e.g. the bank-issuer may try to send an SMS text or something and because I have a different phone number, then I won't be able to activate them again?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Swapping the SIM has no effect on already registered cards in Apple Pay. I have used it in Europe with local SIMs inserted without issues.

Now, if you want to register a new card while using a local SIM, that might be a different story, since Apple Pay sends the phone number to the bank during the provisioning process. Depending on the bank's authorization process, that may or may not make a difference. And if the bank, as you mentioned, uses texts or phone calls for additional verification, you'll have to be reachable under that number of course.

tx4app

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
Austin TX
Swapping the SIM has no effect on already registered cards in Apple Pay. I have used it in Europe with local SIMs inserted without issues.

Many thanks for the follow-up. If for some reason it refuses to work I'll definitely be carrying the respective physical cards. I thought I recalled that if one does something like sign the phone out of iCloud, then one must re-add the cards in which case that could be a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.