Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
I have used Facebook on my MBP and recently found out that even my BANK has been sending information to my Facebook profile.
WTF?

I have never even logged in to both websites at the same time.
I always log out of FB, and clear all the cookies. And then log into the bank's website.

So now I assume all apps are taking all my data from every other outlet no matter what I do.

But I still want to do some things privately. Like my online banking. Or filing taxes, for example.

I thought I could buy a brand new Macbook to do only those things on that machine, but that is expensive ($1000+)
I thought I could re-format my current MBP and then file my taxes because all the cookies and tracking stuff would be gone.
(But would be a major pita to do this every time I wanted to do those things).

So now my question is:
Is it possible to set up a "safe zone" on my MBP where I could log into websites and no other programs or trackers could see what I am doing or gather information about it???

Preferably through Safari.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
You could use a separate web browser just for that stuff. Go even further and do only that stuff in a VM.
I've used FB on both Safari and Firefox already. Those are the only browsers I want to use for now.

So if I set up a VM, I could run Safari in that and no other apps or trackers would be able to see what I do there?
Is that right?

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
You could use a separate web browser just for that stuff. Go even further and do only that stuff in a VM.
Someone told me a VM would not solve the problem.
They'd still track me by my IP address or something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.