Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinkyrdj

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Hello. I use Finder's "Connect to Server" to connect to shared folders on my local network. I have multiple shares I regularly connect to and they are saved to my favorites list. When I try to connect to them, the username field autofills but not the password. I have saved the password to my keychain by checking the box on the credentials window.

Is there a way to have the username AND password fields autofill? I thought that was the point of saving the password to my keychain but it doesn't seem to work. Any suggestion would be appreciated!

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Try removing one of them from the keychain and then connect to that shaver and tell it save the credentials. Any difference ?

dinkyrdj

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
@barbu Thanks for the suggestion. I tried your suggestion but it didn't make a difference.

After some more thought, I have a theory why it's not working. I connect to the same server with different user names. When I connect, I use the following format: smb://username:*@192.123.4.56/folder1.

I suspect it is the username:* part that is forcing me to enter a password. Again, I do this because I'm logging into the same server with different usernames and passwords. I suspect if I wasn't using multiple accounts that I wouldn't have this problem.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
@barbu Thanks for the suggestion. I tried your suggestion but it didn't make a difference.

After some more thought, I have a theory why it's not working. I connect to the same server with different user names. When I connect, I use the following format: smb://username:*@192.123.4.56/folder1.

I suspect it is the username:* part that is forcing me to enter a password. Again, I do this because I'm logging into the same server with different usernames and passwords. I suspect if I wasn't using multiple accounts that I wouldn't have this problem.
should be "username: password@ipaddress" if you use "*" it will ask for password. sorry for the space between : and password. It keeps replacing those two by :p if I don't use a space. I really hate emoji

Last edited:
Reactions: barbu

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada

I am surprised it will work for you at all. I have tried logging into a shared system with another username different on the server than the username on my system and all I get for that connection is macOS telling me I have no permission to do anything. No matter what is put in the connection field it always uses the current username on my machine for the connection. rsync of the files on the command line has no such problem and if use a passwordless ssh id pub file contents that is in the authorized_keys file on the machine to transfer too you do not even need a password to do your transfers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.