Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lhskjolding

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I need to establish a connection to a license server at my home university from another campus to be able to run MATLAB from my computer. Due to some strange internal politics I am not allowed to be connected directly to the local LAN at my institute, therefore, I am using VPN to common LAN at the campus to get online. To do this I am using a CISCO VPN application for MAC OS X. This part works fine. Then I would like to establish yet another VPN connection over this connection using the build in VPN utility. Using this by itself from home works fine. However, running it over the existing connection does not work. The connection times out.

I have read that people successfully has managed to have two VPN connections running on windows systems? Would these issues be related to my computer or to the network setup?

I really appreciate any help regarding this.

Thanks,
Lars Henrik

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I need to establish a connection to a license server at my home university from another campus to be able to run MATLAB from my computer. Due to some strange internal politics I am not allowed to be connected directly to the local LAN at my institute, therefore, I am using VPN to common LAN at the campus to get online. To do this I am using a CISCO VPN application for MAC OS X. This part works fine. Then I would like to establish yet another VPN connection over this connection using the build in VPN utility. Using this by itself from home works fine. However, running it over the existing connection does not work. The connection times out.

I have read that people successfully has managed to have two VPN connections running on windows systems? Would these issues be related to my computer or to the network setup?

I really appreciate any help regarding this.

Thanks,
Lars Henrik

Why do you want to have the second VPN tunnel? I don't get it. Doesn't the first VPN connection give you access to the license server?

lhskjolding

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Why do you want to have the second VPN tunnel? I don't get it. Doesn't the first VPN connection give you access to the license server?

Unfortunately I have to tunnel to a different server at an other institution where I am also affiliated to reach the appropriate license server to be able to run MATLAB. Due to internal politics I am only allowed to connect to the internet through a VPN connection to a "local" network. I just don't understand why a second tunneling should not be possible? Could the network administrator limit the ability of making VPN connections?

Quartz Extreme

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2005
USA
I've attempted this before, and the only way I've managed it successfully is to VPN on the host OS, then VPN the second time within a virtual machine.

Though, if memory serves, this was the other way around (running a Cisco VPN connection through a PPTP connection). Your results may vary.

assembled

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
London
the Cisco IPSec and SSL VPN clients tunnel IP traffic, trying to get IPSec Por PPTP traffic over them will fail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.