Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
My daughter's iPhone has over 80Gb of pictures/videos. I don't have iCloud Photos activated on her devices and the WiFi module on the iPhone is fried so can't do anything that requires WiFi. She has now got a new iPhone and has marked as favorites all the pictures she wants to keep.

How can I transfer only the favorite pics to my Mac? I don't need them on the Photos app on the Mac, it would be fine to just transfer them to a folder. I have been trying to find a way to do this and am struggling. I could transfer the whole contents of her camera roll to a new Photos library on the Mac and then process the pictures from there but I don't think the favorites will continue to be marked as so and the process will be pointless.
I could create an album on the iPhone with all the favorites but I find myself at the same spot, how to only transfer this album to the Mac?

I appreciate your help in finding the best way to solve this.

Thank you.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It’s going to have to be done manually. Hope there’s not thousands of pictures.
From the Favorites folder start copying those pics to either a Mac or online web server or use AirDrop. It’s going to be brutally slow but not too bad if you do a little at a time.

Don’t even try to Select All in the Favorites folder and do anything with them. There’s likely too many in the folder and any method of trying to move them all at once will inevitably cause a crash or nothing at all.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
It’s going to have to be done manually. Hope there’s not thousands of pictures.
From the Favorites folder start copying those pics to either a Mac or online web server or use AirDrop. It’s going to be brutally slow but not too bad if you do a little at a time.
She has thousands of pictures marked as favorites ?. I forgot to write on the original post that the WiFi chip on the iPhone has got damaged so the only way to transfer the pics is using cable connected to the Mac

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Found the solution! Used a 3rd party app that luckily I had bought some time ago to transfer the songs and playlists from an old iPad Classic to my Mac. Name is iExplorer from developer Macroplant. It let me mount the favorites folder as a disk on the Mac and it was then as easy as just using CMD+A, copy and paste. The whole thing took just seconds.
I am so glad that I didn't have to manually go through all those pics, it would've been a PITA

Reactions: now i see it
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.