Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingLion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Hey All,

I'm in much need of assistance. I have a new iPad Pro 12.9in (2018). I have 2 SD cards, and the Apple USB-C to HDMI, USB, USB-C adapter.

The iPad recognizes 1 SD Card (exFat) that usually is and was formatted in my Panasonic Lumix but only pictures. No videos taken with that camera show as an import option. The new SD Card (exFat), never has been in the camera, I just bought, ordered it, using it as an external storage. I put a picture on it and 1 video. The iPad opens up the photos app but shows nothing to import?

What's the easiest way to import videos to the iPad from an external source so that I can edit in LumaFusion?

Thanks in advance

iRaynor SK

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
Banská Bystrica, Slovak Republic
SD Card reader reductions from Apple are not very versatile. If you attached SD card from camera into your PC or Mac, you saw that cameras create specific folder structure with metadata. Reductions from Apple can only read photos from specific location, thats all. It usually allows to transfer videos too, but in your case you are out of luck (I had Lumix camera too). You can take photos with camera and then transfer them to iPad. Thats all what it can do.

If you need serious work with external storage with iPad, you have to look at another reductions. Personally, I have RAVPower FileHub with SD card reader, USB disk reader and Ethernet port (FileHub can be used as wireless router). It connects via wi-fi. It creates its own wi-fi network, so you dont have to be at wi-fi router - just your iPad and FileHub.

Reactions: KingLion

KingLion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I don’t have a Lumix or an iPad 2018, but did you record your footage in AVCHD?
Maybe it can’t “see” that format?
I mostly deal with audio but for SD card transfers, I use this:
Kingston MobileLite G3 5,400 mAh Compact Portable Battery Power Bank 2.0A for iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy and More (MLWG3) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019PY0ORK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_zhhACbWMWRGDG

Actually the videos are AVCHD, I'll change the settings to MP4 to see what happens.

KingLion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
SD Card reader reductions from Apple are not very versatile. If you attached SD card from camera into your PC or Mac, you saw that cameras create specific folder structure with metadata. Reductions from Apple can only read photos from specific location, thats all. It usually allows to transfer videos too, but in your case you are out of luck (I had Lumix camera too). You can take photos with camera and then transfer them to iPad. Thats all what it can do.

If you need serious work with external storage with iPad, you have to look at another reductions. Personally, I have RAVPower FileHub with SD card reader, USB disk reader and Ethernet port (FileHub can be used as wireless router). It connects via wi-fi. It creates its own wi-fi network, so you dont have to be at wi-fi router - just your iPad and FileHub.

Thanks for this, I'll try some of those options

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.