Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Since iOS 5, there's been an option for Mail to "Organize By Thread". However, threads don't include sent mail, just received. Has anything changed in iOS 8 to allow sent mail to be grouped within threads? Is this a problem only with Gmail accounts or do iCloud Mail accounts (or any other account type) exhibit this too?

Doesn't anyone else find this jarring? I'm always scrolling down into the quoted part to see what I sent, or worse, having to back out into the Sent folder if the quoted part is redacted for whatever reason. Gmail groups all conversations the way they're supposed to be: back-and-forth. It's 2014 and Apple Mail on iOS still doesn't do this?? Seriously?

bomsom

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Plus 1 for this. It's unbelievable that mail.app don't have this.
I've been trying to find a replacement that works with IMAP accounts but didn't succeed so far.

Mailbox seems like a good alternative, but only works with iCloud or gmail account.

I tried Cloud Magic but it doesn't have this feature either.

Still looking.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Since iOS 5, there's been an option for Mail to "Organize By Thread". However, threads don't include sent mail, just received. Has anything changed in iOS 8 to allow sent mail to be grouped within threads? Is this a problem only with Gmail accounts or do iCloud Mail accounts (or any other account type) exhibit this too?

Doesn't anyone else find this jarring? I'm always scrolling down into the quoted part to see what I sent, or worse, having to back out into the Sent folder if the quoted part is redacted for whatever reason. Gmail groups all conversations the way they're supposed to be: back-and-forth. It's 2014 and Apple Mail on iOS still doesn't do this?? Seriously?

Try the latest version of cloudmagic for difffernt email providers.

If you are using gmail, nothing beats the Gmail app.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Try the latest version of cloudmagic for difffernt email providers.

If you are using gmail, nothing beats the Gmail app.

I disagree. I think with iOS 8, the default Mail.app works perfectly except for this Sent mail flaw. The new swipe gestures for Archive/Trash are really good and I like it's integration into the OS.

The Gmail app offers Push but the cost to battery life doesn't justify enabling that in my opinion (I've set Mail.app to 1 hour fetches, and if I'm expecting something, I open the app and force a fetch any way).

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
I disagree. I think with iOS 8, the default Mail.app works perfectly except for this Sent mail flaw. The new swipe gestures for Archive/Trash are really good and I like it's integration into the OS.

The Gmail app offers Push but the cost to battery life doesn't justify enabling that in my opinion (I've set Mail.app to 1 hour fetches, and if I'm expecting something, I open the app and force a fetch any way).

Hmmm, I am not sure why you would think gmail app would be a battery hog? I have been running gmail app for about a year and a half without battery drain issues. Now with battery usage in ios8, you can tell which app is battery hungry. Right now I have:

Usage: 3 hours 58 mins
Standby: 13 hours 3 mins
56% battery
Gmail app usage: 1%

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Hmmm, I am not sure why you would think gmail app would be a battery hog? I have been running gmail app for about a year and a half without battery drain issues. Now with battery usage in ios8, you can tell which app is battery hungry. Right now I have:

Usage: 3 hours 58 mins
Standby: 13 hours 3 mins
56% battery
Gmail app usage: 1%

Apologies, I should have clarified: Push is only a battery hog if you're being pushed a lot of emails. You may have Push enabled with the Gmail app and yet receive only 1 email a day and have no noticeable impact on battery life. It really depends on the user. I know that in my own case, switching from 15 minute fetch to 1 hour has already resulted in a *significant* battery life boost, so I can only imagine how much worse Push would be for my battery life.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Apologies, I should have clarified: Push is only a battery hog if you're being pushed a lot of emails. You may have Push enabled with the Gmail app and yet receive only 1 email a day and have no noticeable impact on battery life. It really depends on the user. I know that in my own case, switching from 15 minute fetch to 1 hour has already resulted in a *significant* battery life boost, so I can only imagine how much worse Push would be for my battery life.

You are correct. It does depend on how many emails one receives. I average about < 10 email notifications a day. To keep my numbers down, I have also filtered my emails so that non-important ones skip the inbox and I only get push notifications on the important ones.

I would suggest you give push email a try now since ios 8 allows you to monitor battery usage.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
You are correct. It does depend on how many emails one receives. I average about < 10 email notifications a day. To keep my numbers down, I have also filtered my emails so that non-important ones skip the inbox and I only get push notifications on the important ones.

I would suggest you give push email a try now since ios 8 allows you to monitor battery usage.

I've done the exact same: important emails to Inbox, the rest skip and get filed under an unimportant label.

I've been trying to be an "app minimalist" this past year and really want to keep installed apps to a minimum, so I didn't mind the push-fetch trade-off (nor the Sent mail grouping flaw) with the default mail app, but maybe I'll give Gmail a try again.

The downsides are:
-no "All Inboxes" view aggregating messages from all accounts
-third-party apps only send mail through the default Apple Mail.app
-iOS Share feature doesn't recognize the Gmail app

sevoman

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2016
Ancient Egypt
Outlook for iOS. The perfect mail app... FULL threaded messages shows sent and replied. Also has two swipe options... left swipe one thing and right swipe another thing. The iOS Gmail app only allows for one action regardless of which way you swipe. I have tried them all and Outlook is the best. It also syncs mail accounts for all services not just Gmail (Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, Aol, iCloud, etc etc). The perfect solution.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's basically a difference between thread view and conversation view--some clients support one or the other, some neither.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.