Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
I have MacBook Pro 2015. Recently I needed Windows OS and I installed Bootcamp. Total size of my Hard Drive is 120 GB. It perfectly worked for my needs both Mac and Windows.

Now I need extra 15 Gb temporarily in order to install one application. Application does not allow to use this space externally i.e. it should be recognized as part of PC.

I use NAS Synology with a plenty of space and it's accessible from my computer either by Map network drive or via 'Add network location'. Hence my question: how could I add this space to PC in order to be visible like part of Disk Storage?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i would move 20GB of data temporarily on another usb drive.
data space still adheres to the laws of physics were one can only fit what the space can handle.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Not even on Windows you can install an application on a network shared drive. You have to make space for that 20GB to install that application locally.
There are various technologies to allow users to launch applications remotely. If your NAS can somehow support installing VM (some NAS do), maybe give it a shot.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Not even on Windows you can install an application on a network shared drive. You have to make space for that 20GB to install that application locally.
There are various technologies to allow users to launch applications remotely. If your NAS can somehow support installing VM (some NAS do), maybe give it a shot.
Thanks
I didn’t know that cannot trick my Window partition with external drive
Likely will try to find temporary another PC because I doubt that I find 20 Gb to move

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I have MacBook Pro 2015. Recently I needed Windows OS and I installed Bootcamp. Total size of my Hard Drive is 120 GB. It perfectly worked for my needs both Mac and Windows.

Now I need extra 15 Gb temporarily in order to install one application. Application does not allow to use this space externally i.e. it should be recognized as part of PC.

I use NAS Synology with a plenty of space and it's accessible from my computer either by Map network drive or via 'Add network location'. Hence my question: how could I add this space to PC in order to be visible like part of Disk Storage?

You can spare the whole 120GB of internal SSD for Windows, and run Mac OS on an external SSD.
Or vise versa.
Not a very big problem. Disk access speed maybe slower a little bit, but not much noticeable in real life, as your MacBook Pro has USB 3.0.

I'm running Windows on an external USB 2.0 box, and it still smooth enough. (16GB of RAM)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.