Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Would this work on MacOS Ventura?
I just got this 2011 MBP8,1 and boost it to 16GB of ram 1600mhz, and wanted to have at least 1gb of ram off of it.

I can’t say, but unless something was changed fundamentally, the override may still be possible in Ventura. I wouldn’t, however, know how to go about it, as I’ve only modified this call-out in High Sierra and Mojave.

Uyou ought to have another re-read of the post I made above, sharing the results of my specific use-case and testing a hypothesis which, in the end, did not yield the predicted observations. My hope was bumping up the DRAM allocation for VRAM would rectify a memory buffer overflow I’d experienced since at least 2012, which all but necessitates a reboot. The test results, after this modification, however, didn’t do the trick.

This is all to say: the bump-up from 512MB to 768 or 1024MB with the Sandy Bridge HD 3000 combo will probably not make much of a difference in handling memory-intensive video (such as HD and higher). It’ll probably not change the performance of any GPU-intensive gaming.

Lion4K

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2024
I can’t say, but unless something was changed fundamentally, the override may still be possible in Ventura. I wouldn’t, however, know how to go about it, as I’ve only modified this call-out in High Sierra and Mojave.

Uyou ought to have another re-read of the post I made above, sharing the results of my specific use-case and testing a hypothesis which, in the end, did not yield the predicted observations. My hope was bumping up the DRAM allocation for VRAM would rectify a memory buffer overflow I’d experienced since at least 2012, which all but necessitates a reboot. The test results, after this modification, however, didn’t do the trick.

This is all to say: the bump-up from 512MB to 768 or 1024MB with the Sandy Bridge HD 3000 combo will probably not make much of a difference in handling memory-intensive video (such as HD and higher). It’ll probably not change the performance of any GPU-intensive gaming.

I mean, I willing to test, but, if it goes wrong, whats the worse it can happen?

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I find this somewhat curious, as I just got an early 2013 MBP Retina with an HD Graphics 4000 and 8gb of RAM, and the specs page on everymac claims that the max video memory shared is 768mb, while mine is double that amount. Either my machine in some sort of BTO or they snuck some extra VRAM sharing firmware on there in a later revision...? Dunno.

I have Sonoma installed on it now, but it came with High Sierra. Both reported the same VRAM size (1536mb).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.