Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
So is this actually changing the vRAM? or just updating the text to look like its changed?

macnewbie2015

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2015
The party is on again!

After some research I figure out how to make this tweak really works, you have to edit the Info.plist at AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext/C*
Have to add after VRAMOverrride the VRAMSize key, it will be like this:
<key>VRAMOverride</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>VRAMSize</key>
<integer>1024</integer>

Add these last two lines (VRAMSize integer value should match with the value you picked to edit the first kext, save it and patch and fix the extensions with Kext Utility and you are good to go!

Have fun! After several tests and benchmark I realize that 1024 vram size is the best. More then that your gpu don't use, believe me, I tried!

The proof screenshot:

how did you use this override in terminal? I'm going through the same issue but I can't get this to work. what am I doing wrong?

graywolf212

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
Terminal command to increase vRAM for HD3000 graphics (Mac mini 2011 or MacBook Pro 2011)

From *MB - The amount of vRAM you currently have. You can find it in System Profiler.

Let me get this straight... I have Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB. By entering some terminal commands I can double that? How does this work? I don't understand how you can change your videoram with a command. Also, if I change to 1gb, would it continue to be 1gb if I booted over to windows for gaming (bootcamp)? Is this overclocking, or just magic? Thanks

Keep in mind I want to do this for gaming, where I will be using all of that 1gb.

Pockett

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2015
Terminal command to increase vRAM for HD3000 graphics (Mac mini 2011 or MacBook Pro 2011)

From *MB - The amount of vRAM you currently have. You can find it in System Profiler.

From 256MB to 384MB

From 256MB to 512MB

From 384MB to 1GB

From 384MB to 512MB

From 512MB to 1GB

Thank you very much, I noticed that I had considerably higher FPS during gaming, and fewer FPS drops as well. But just one question, how would I revert back to the 384MB of vRAM that I originally had?

piponero

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
Hola desde Argentina, donde cada dolar vale ORO... Tengo una MacBook Pro Early 2011, ahora con 1024 Mb VRAM gracias a MAcRumors y su Team de gente que colabora y aporta excelentes tips para que nuestros equipos duren mas y funcionen mejor.

Siguiendo los pasos de este post, pude elevar de 512Mb a 1024 Mb VRAM sin mayores tropiezos.
panmacbook2008, si bien nuestros macbooks no son identicos, pero me siento identificado contigo, tenía las mismas preguntas y los mismos inconvenientes, obligado a actualizar hacia Yosemite (ahora estoy corriendo "El Capitan"), sobre un SSD Samsung Evo 350 120Gb para el sistema y el HDD original (320 Gb) para archivos de documento, fotos, video. Annnd... actualicé mi RAM desde 4Gb a 8Gb

Tú pregunta:
But am i going to see some difference?
Yes, a little bit more
Mi ingles es terrible :) YES! vas a notar diferencia, todo suma un poco al resultado final. Pero como te decía al principio, en Argentina cada u$s cuesta mucho y el balance para mi puede no amortizar el resultado. Pero a quienes estas actiualizaciones no les son muy costosas, vale la pena hacerlo. Asi que Hazlo! Anímate

Soy fotógrafo y estas actualizaciones me han permitido seguir trabajando con mi monitor adicional de 24' y Photoshop CS6 (no CC !! ) sin mayores problemas.

Gracias a todos por la enorme ayuda que brindan. Nos vemos!

Hola GusMac hoy llegue a este foro siguiendo la posibilidad de subir a 1024 la vram de mi mac, he intentado varios metodos pero no me ha resultado. Tengo una MacBook Pro Early 2011 con 16 de ram con ssd samsung evo 500 y necesito mejorar video para unos trabajos de diseño (soy arquitecto) me podrías guiar de lo pasos que debo realizar???

Gracias de antemano

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Let me get this straight... I have Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB. By entering some terminal commands I can double that? How does this work? I don't understand how you can change your videoram with a command. Also, if I change to 1gb, would it continue to be 1gb if I booted over to windows for gaming (bootcamp)? Is this overclocking, or just magic? Thanks

Keep in mind I want to do this for gaming, where I will be using all of that 1gb.

Thank you very much, I noticed that I had considerably higher FPS during gaming, and fewer FPS drops as well. But just one question, how would I revert back to the 384MB of vRAM that I originally had?

Well graywolf212, this is not overclocking but it is magic. Black Magic! :oops:

Pockett's question is the big one! Before you use this command you have to know. How do I revert back to the original RAM allocation scheme? o_O

It is also important to use restraint with this command. There have been cases where unfortunate souls have assigned ludicrous amounts of memory to the display adapter. That choice causes a Mac to go into a coma. :eek:

Dameatball

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
San Francisco
Well graywolf212, this is not overclocking but it is magic. Black Magic! :oops:

Pockett's question is the big one! Before you use this command you have to know. How do I revert back to the original RAM allocation scheme? o_O

It is also important to use restraint with this command. There have been cases where unfortunate souls have assigned ludicrous amounts of memory to the display adapter. That choice causes a Mac to go into a coma. :eek:
you run the kext recovery utility as discussed (Also any OS update will revert it back) running the terminal commands listed by the OP alone does not complete the increase in vram. There's a couple more small steps to complete it listed in the thread. I definitely would not recommend raising the vram any more that what's described, based on the amount of memory you have. You can test the before and after to see the difference. Definitely not going to turn your old mini into a sick gaming machine but it does give it a boost.

Reactions: Celerondon

MFMCPDX

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2016
Portland
Here I modified the kext for MBP early 2011, just copy the files inside the zip file to your desktop and run kextbeast and restart, you'll have 1024 mb VRAM. Doesnt matter what it was before, make backups of your originals. You're Welcome.

Attachments

• OSX Integrated Graphics Update To 1GB VRAM.zip
    727.2 KB · Views: 8,743
Reactions: uMBP17"

piponero

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
Here I modified the kext for MBP early 2011, just copy the files inside the zip file to your desktop and run kextbeast and restart, you'll have 1024 mb VRAM. Doesnt matter what it was before, make backups of your originals. You're Welcome.

that hurts has not worked

goodiesguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2016
New Zealand
How would I go with increasing from 256MB to 512MB on a GeForce 940M on a Macbook6,1(White Uni-body), similar process to go through?

cristianvaldez

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
Everywhere
The party is on again!

After some research I figure out how to make this tweak really works, you have to edit the Info.plist at AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext/C*
<key>VRAMOverride</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>VRAMSize</key>
<integer>1024</integer>

Add these last two lines (VRAMSize integer value should match with the value you picked to edit the first kext, save it and patch and fix the extensions with Kext Utility and you are good to go!

Have fun! After several tests and benchmark I realize that 1024 vram size is the best. More then that your gpu don't use, believe me, I tried!

The proof screenshot:

Can you elaborate a little bit more on that? where is that "AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext/C*" ? please give me a step by step to do that... thanks!

Reactions: hermon

echoestheone

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
First you have to disable the system integrety check "rootless".

Simply boot to your recovery manager (CMD + R)
and then open Terminal from Utilities menu.

Type;

csrutil disable

and restart.

View attachment 588481

Ty man! It worked. Do you know if there's a way to increase to 2gb vRam?

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2016-05-05 a las 9.56.13 p.m..png
    Captura de pantalla 2016-05-05 a las 9.56.13 p.m..png
    24 KB · Views: 592

hermon

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2016
The party is on again!

<key>VRAMOverride</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>VRAMSize</key>
<integer>1024</integer>

The proof screenshot:

where is this " AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext/C* " ???...would've been mush easier if it was written clearly that everyone understands.

Kinematron

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2016
First you have to disable the system integrety check "rootless".

Simply boot to your recovery manager (CMD + R)
and then open Terminal from Utilities menu.

Type;

csrutil disable

and restart.

View attachment 588481

I also run El Capitan, do I have to disable this before the terminal inputs? And then how do I enable it again? or there is no problem if I leave it disabled?

ArielEnam

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2016
I need to do this, but I don't get yet how to. Can someone puts some EASY to read steps please? I will highly appreciate.

ArielEnam

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2016
That works with macbook pro late 2011 too?

Reactions: mightymacman

MFMCPDX

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2016
Portland
I dunno I only have a MBP early 2011 i5 2.3Ghz 8GB RAM, it worked for me
[doublepost=1465400115][/doublepost]
I need to do this, but I don't get yet how to. Can someone puts some EASY to read steps please? I will highly appreciate.

Have you disabled SIP? (System Integrity Protection)

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
I want to thank the original poster for the "hack".
Another success on Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15", from 512MB > 1024MB.

Cheers!

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I want to thank the original poster for the "hack".
Another success on Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15", from 512MB > 1024MB.

Cheers!
Every time that I try the terminal hack, I can not get it to work. I can get it to work if I download the pre-modded kext files. I would like to get it to work, so that I can mod the newest versions of it.

grcar

Suspended
Sep 28, 2014
Guys, guys, VRAM only holds the frame buffer. At one time VRAM was really a special kind of memory chip, but now it is just like the DRAM and is often in the main memory chips. Provided the space called VRAM is big enough to hold all the pixels at max color depth (millions of colors) there is no benefit to reserving extra space, and there is a downside to taking that space away from the rest of the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.