Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FJDR

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2017
Hello to all:

After do the command (sudo perl -pi -e 's|\xC7\x45\xBC\x00\x00\x00\x40|\xc7\x45\xBC\x00\x00\x00\x80|g' AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB ) with x80 instead x60, maintain my vRAM to 1.5 Mb.
I have 8 Gb RAM. Then I want ask. If upgrade to 16 Gb, will reach 2 Gb?

I know the HD 3000 have the limitation to 1.7 Gb shared RAM, but in other forum they said set to 2 Gb will use the total 1.7 Gb.

Regards

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 13.30.56.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 13.30.56.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 559

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Hello to all:

After do the command (sudo perl -pi -e 's|\xC7\x45\xBC\x00\x00\x00\x40|\xc7\x45\xBC\x00\x00\x00\x80|g' AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB ) with x80 instead x60, maintain my vRAM to 1.5 Mb.
I have 8 Gb RAM. Then I want ask. If upgrade to 16 Gb, will reach 2 Gb?

I know the HD 3000 have the limitation to 1.7 Gb shared RAM, but in other forum they said set to 2 Gb will use the total 1.7 Gb.

Regards

With 8 Gb RAM you can reach 2 Gb VRAM on that GPU, try these already patched FB I did for Mojave but essentially is based on HighSierra kexts for IntelHD3000, so they are exactly the same.

IntelHD3000 VRAM increase pre-patched HighSierra/Mojave

Reactions: jdmc and bryanus

flariden77

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2019
Use Kext utility to clear clear caches and rebuild the bindings.. then reboot. It should work. Mine shows 1536MB.

need help.. i tried this on my early 2011 macbook pro but no sucess. I used the mojave patch using the kext utility but file cant be copy as mentioned in kextutility--cant copy source file error. did i miss something please email me for the help. i badly need this hack

-------------------------
UPDATE: successful after SIP disabled/restart then patched.

Last edited:

PRESEAos

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2019
need help.. i tried this on my early 2011 macbook pro but no sucess. I used the mojave patch using the kext utility but file cant be copy as mentioned in kextutility--cant copy source file error. did i miss something please email me for the help. i badly need this hack

-------------------------
UPDATE: successful after SIP disabled/restart then patched.
hi, i have the same mb-pro; does worth/is noticeable/makes a difference on the performance of the machine? I got 16gb of ram and the system is on a ssd.

FJDR

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2017
hi, i have the same mb-pro; does worth/is noticeable/makes a difference on the performance of the machine? I got 16gb of ram and the system is on a ssd.

Hello: Mine is a MacBook Pro 17 2011

The dGPU fail and hack the firmware to override the chip. Now Install 16 Gb and using VectorWorks 2017 haven't problems yet.

Next week I will install an SSD replacing the HDD to increase its speed.

Do you have issues?

Regards

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 08.07.30.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 08.07.30.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 392

Frieg

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
I may have issues, and severe ones. It may be connected to this „hack“. every time i do something that will fill up the vram (previewing huge image, scrolling a webpage that perpetually loads more and more images) i reach a point where the whole ui glitches out. More and more ui elements become scrambled until nothing works anymore. No overheating. Reboot cures it perfectly. Had set the vram to 1,5 gb, i guess the hd 3000 isn’t able to handle that much and literally gives up.

i have 16 gigs installed on my late 2011 13 mbp and the system on a ssd. i have never seen any performance gain from this hack, because I didn't notice any drop in performance each time the hack was disabled after a security update of hight Sierra

Last edited:
Reactions: PRESEAos

FJDR

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2017
I may have issues, and severe ones. It may be connected to this „hack“. every time i do something that will fill up the vram (previewing huge image, scrolling a webpage that perpetually loads more and more images) i reach a point where the whole ui glitches out. More and more ui elements become scrambled until nothing works anymore. No overheating. Reboot cures it perfectly. Had set the vram to 1,5 gb, i guess the hd 3000 isn’t able to handle that much and literally gives up.

i have 16 gigs installed on my late 2011 13 mbp and the system on a ssd. i have never seen any performance gain from this hack, because I didn't notice any drop in performance each time the hack was disabled after a security update of hight Sierra

Sad to know your impressions.
In my case, glitches appears some time, for example editing photos with Photos.app. But I use Aperture 3.6 instead, and all works fine to me.

I will share with you the procedure I did.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/362448/mac-book-pro-17-running-without-dgpu-and-16-gb-ram

I hope works for you as well

PRESEAos

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2019
Hello: Mine is a MacBook Pro 17 2011

The dGPU fail and hack the firmware to override the chip. Now Install 16 Gb and using VectorWorks 2017 haven't problems yet.

Next week I will install an SSD replacing the HDD to increase its speed.

Do you have issues?

Regards
no issues at all, only one I have was when I put a second ssd on the dvd drive bay with an adapter sata 2, but if you use a sata 3 theres no problems, I now have two ssd's inside the machine.

nsgr

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2017
Macbook Pro 15" Early 2011 - failed AMD GPU - works only Intel HD 3000.

High Sierra 10.13.6 - Intel GPU 512 MB vRAM to 1024 vRAM

1 - Boot Recovery Mode (press Command + R keys at boot)

2 - Menu Utilities -> Terminal

3 - Disable SIP and reboot
Code:
csrutil disable

reboot

4 - Boot normal

5 - Make backup AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.
Code:
cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext/Contents/MacOS/

sudo cp -v AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.backup

6 - Modify AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB executable - 512 MB to 1024 with perl command. Thanks jackluke .
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\xC7\x45\xD0\x00\x00\x00\x20|\xC7\x45\xD0\x00\x00\x00\x40|g' AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB

7 - Make copy Info.Plist and modify AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext/Contents/Info.plist with nano editor
Code:
cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext/Contents/

sudo cp -v Info.plist Info.plist.backup

sudo nano Info.plist

8 - Add inside Info.plist (AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext)

<key>VRAMOverride</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>VRAMSize</key>
<integer>1024</integer>

9 - Exit nano editor: press CTRL + X

Message: Save modified buffer (ANSWERING "No" WILL DESTROY CHANGES) ?
Press Y key (YES)

Press ENTER to save Info.plist

10 - Change timestamp /System/Library/Extensions
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

11 - Verify your system partition name. My example MacOS
Code:
ls /Volumes/

MacOS

12- Rebuild kextcache
Code:
kextcache -v 1 -u /Volumes/MacOS

12.1 - If it does not work, try this step in Single User Mode:
Boot Single User Mode (Press Command + S at boot)

12.2 - Verify file system
Code:
fsck -fy

12.3 - Mount system partition with Read and Write permissions. Do not forget the final Slash "/".
Code:
mount -uw /

12.4 - Rebuild kextcache. My example -> system partition name MacOS .
Code:
ls /Volumes/

MacOS

kextcache -v 1 -u /Volumes/MacOS

13 - Reboot Macbook Pro
Code:
sudo reboot now

14 - Boot normal and see
About this Mac:
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 1024 MB

15 - Install Open GL Extensions Viewer -> App Store and open
https://apps.apple.com/br/app/opengl-extensions-viewer/id444052073?l=en&mt=12

Video Memory: 1091 MB

16 - Reboot Macbook Pro
Code:
sudo reboot now

17 - Boot Recovery Mode (press Command + R keys at boot)

18 - Menu Utilities -> Terminal

19 - Enable SIP partially.
You have modified the AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext and
AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext. Now you have to disable the High Sierra from using only original kexts.
Code:
csrutil enable --without kext

reboot

20 - Boot normal

21 - Verify csrutil enable -without kext (Kext Signing: disabled)
Code:
csrutil status

System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
Apple Internal: disabled
Kext Signing: disabled
Filesystem Protections: enabled
Debugging Restrictions: enabled
DTrace Restrictions: enabled
NVRAM Protections: enabled
BaseSystem Verification: enabled
This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.

About this Mac has a false flag about video memory. Always confirm with the Open GL Extensions viewer app.

If you modify AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext with the perl command and do not modify Info.plist (AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext):

About this Mac -> Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 1024 MB

Open GL Extensions Viewer -> Video Memory: 512 MB

Enabling parts of System Integrity Protection while disabling specific parts?
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/17452

Last edited:
Reactions: jdmc and jackluke

Frieg

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
How do I completely reverse this? i want to go back to stock configuration with no leftovers to test if my glitchyness-issues are caused by this hack

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
What is really strange is Mojave and Catalina work rather nicely on my 2011 MacBook Pro 15 inch abs I didn’t have to disable the AMD chip, same as my 5,1 Mac Pro without a metal card.

jdmc

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2018
It will work, for a simple reason, Catalina "Video Patches" use exactly the same GPU drivers/kext and frameworks used previously in Mojave.

Use this already tested and working also in Catalina:
IntelHD3000 VRAM increase pre-patched HighSierra/Mojave/Catalina

Thanks a ton for providing those pre-patched kexts... they're super-handy! I've experimented with installing them in both Mojave and Catalina on a Macmini5,1 (each OS having been installed via DosDude1's tools).

Here's the thing, though: I can see that the vRAM ceiling has been raised, but I'm not seeing any practical benefit from doing so. My Macmini5,1 has 8GB of RAM installed, and normally allocates 512MB of that for vRAM. I've run it with the ceiling upped to 2048MB, 1536MB, and 1024MB, and I haven't been able to find a video mode that does work with the increased vRAM but doesn't work with the stock configuration. In fact, with 1536MB or more, I've observed that the desktop UI graphics become glitchy.

Considering all the effort that's been put into figuring out how to enable the HD3000 vRAM increase, it wouldn't make sense if there were nothing to gain from it, so.... what am I missing?! - Thanks.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks a ton for providing those pre-patched kexts... they're super-handy! I've experimented with installing them in both Mojave and Catalina on a Macmini5,1 (each OS having been installed via DosDude1's tools).

Here's the thing, though: I can see that the vRAM ceiling has been raised, but I'm not seeing any practical benefit from doing so. My Macmini5,1 has 8GB of RAM installed, and normally allocates 512MB of that for vRAM. I've run it with the ceiling upped to 2048MB, 1536MB, and 1024MB, and I haven't been able to find a video mode that does work with the increased vRAM but doesn't work with the stock configuration. In fact, with 1536MB or more, I've observed that the desktop UI graphics become glitchy.

Considering all the effort that's been put into figuring out how to enable the HD3000 vRAM increase, it wouldn't make sense if there were nothing to gain from it, so.... what am I missing?! - Thanks.

Increasing VideoRAM in some applications or games has some improvements, but there is a minimum of glitches, however to find if you applied correctly the patch you should download and install this app:

that tells how much VRAM is allocated and subtracted from the RAM.

However your machine is a Macmini5,1 so it means that you use an HDMI output to an external display, the VRAM increase patch has more effect on MacBook Air / Pro laptops, that have an embedded LCD with fixed screen resolution.

Last edited:

jdmc

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2018
your machine is a Macmini5,1 so it means that you use an HDMI output to an external display

Actually, I mainly use the Thunderbolt/DisplayPort output, which supports 2160p30 (4K at 30 Hz) alone, or can be combined with the HDMI output to support dual displays, with 1080p60 via HDMI and 1440p60 (QHD) via DisplayPort. =)

I had been hoping that increasing the vRAM limit might allow a second display to run off HDMI even while a 4K display is running off DisplayPort, but I haven't been able to make it work, alas.

Last edited:

RafaelP93

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
Increasing VideoRAM in some applications or games has some improvements, but there is a minimum of glitches, however to find if you applied correctly the patch you should download and install this app:

that tells how much VRAM is allocated and subtracted from the RAM.

However your machine is a Macmini5,1 so it means that you use an HDMI output to an external display, the VRAM increase patch has more effect on MacBook Air / Pro laptops, that have an embedded LCD with fixed screen resolution.

Hi,

Could you help me with Intel HD 3000 (512 to 1536MB) files for macOS Catalina?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-14-mojave-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2121473/page-199

Or at least help me to increase my HD 3000 VRAM to at least 1GB?

Thank you!

Reactions: jackluke

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Hi,

Could you help me with Intel HD 3000 (512 to 1536MB) files for macOS Catalina?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-14-mojave-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2121473/page-199

Or at least help me to increase my HD 3000 VRAM to at least 1GB?

Thank you!

I made pre-patched IntelHD3000 gpu kext with any VRAM increase combinations, you can use the zip package uploaded here:

they are already tested to work with HighSierra, Mojave and Catalina.

Before replace the patched files, open a Terminal and run this: sudo mount -uw / ; killall Finder

After you replaced the patched files, open Terminal and copy/paste this one line at once:
Code:
sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -i /
(this will take a while to complete)

sudo reboot

RafaelP93

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
I made pre-patched IntelHD3000 gpu kext with any VRAM increase combinations, you can use the zip package uploaded here:

they are already tested to work with HighSierra, Mojave and Catalina.

Before replace the patched files, open a Terminal and run this: sudo mount -uw / ; killall Finder

After you replaced the patched files, open Terminal and copy/paste this one line at once:
Code:
sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -i /
(this will take a while to complete)

sudo reboot

It worked!!!!

Also tested with OpenGL..

Thank you so much dude!!!

Reactions: jackluke

16v

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2018
Tried this on a 13" 2011. But it says read-only file system...
Apfs and sip disabled, Catalina.
Single User Mode same result.

What to do?

Last edited:

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Tried this on a 13" 2011. But it says read-only file system...
Apfs and sip disabled, Catalina.
Single User Mode same result.

What to do?

From a normal Catalina booting open Terminal and copy/paste this before replace the files:

sudo mount -uw / ; killall Finder

Reactions: 16v
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.