Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
I won't go into to much detail as to why I wanna know this... just simply.. I have a *.deb file on my host machine, and I am curious about how to install it on the iPad? Anyone know anything about this!?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,

MikeTemple

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
In the cloud
I tried to paste a link, but the forum replaces the URL with *s.

Type 'install .deb on ipad' into Google and you will find the answer :)

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
I tried to paste a link, but the forum replaces the URL with *s.

Type 'install .deb on ipad' into Google and you will find the answer :)

Hey, thanks for your replies. Greatly appreciated.

Ive been searching on google, and Im getting no where.. IVe tried a few methods... Some that require a download app, so U download the Deb file onto the app, but then the App doesnt know what to do with it next.

Curious, would you mind sending me a private message with that Link you were talking about?!

I did see something about SHH'ing. I have CyberDuck on my desktop at home, and I know how to use it.. and something about transfering the file to the TMP folder?!

Just throwing out some idea's here that I came across.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
This is sorta what I Found.

1.Jailbreak your iPad using Spirit (working for Mac OS, window might have errors)
2.Download the “*deb file
3.Go Cydia & download “OpenSSH”
4.Use your favorite FTP/SSH program (I use Filezilla) to transfer the “tvout2.deb” into /tmp/ folder in your iPad (Username: root, Default Password: alpine)
5.GET iSSH from iTunes (Free cydia app “mobile terminal” not working for iPad at this moment)
6.Configure your iSSH to connect to your iPad own IP Address (use SBSetting to see your iPad IP address)
7.Use iSSH to navigate to /tmp/ folder on your ipad (You need to know the a little terminal commands to do that)
8.“dpkg -i /tmp/file.deb && killall SpringBoard” (without double quotes) in the iSSH to install the app.

IS this sorta what needs to be done?? Also, MobileTerminal doesnt work for that iPad.. is there another App that will?

Thanks again Mike!!

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
This is sorta what I Found.

1.Jailbreak your iPad using Spirit (working for Mac OS, window might have errors)
2.Download the “*deb file
3.Go Cydia & download “OpenSSH”
4.Use your favorite FTP/SSH program (I use Filezilla) to transfer the “tvout2.deb” into /tmp/ folder in your iPad (Username: root, Default Password: alpine)
5.GET iSSH from iTunes (Free cydia app “mobile terminal” not working for iPad at this moment)
6.Configure your iSSH to connect to your iPad own IP Address (use SBSetting to see your iPad IP address)
7.Use iSSH to navigate to /tmp/ folder on your ipad (You need to know the a little terminal commands to do that)
8.“dpkg -i /tmp/file.deb && killall SpringBoard” (without double quotes) in the iSSH to install the app.

IS this sorta what needs to be done?? Also, MobileTerminal doesnt work for that iPad.. is there another App that will?

Thanks again Mike!!

I'm not a jailbreaker, just someone with Unix experience, but hopefully these notes will be useful.

- Make sure that you change the OpenSSH password, there was a worm going ready a while back that used the default "alpine" password.
- Do you really need to use iSSH on your iPad? I would have thought that connecting from your main computer would have worked just as well. On OSX start up Terminal and type "ssh root@your.ipad.address". On Windows Putty works well as an SSH client and is free.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
I'm not a jailbreaker, just someone with Unix experience, but hopefully these notes will be useful.

- Make sure that you change the OpenSSH password, there was a worm going ready a while back that used the default "alpine" password.
- Do you really need to use iSSH on your iPad? I would have thought that connecting from your main computer would have worked just as well. On OSX start up Terminal and type "ssh root@your.ipad.address". On Windows Putty works well as an SSH client and is free.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok so this is what I did. And yes, I do have my password changed, I did that the day I jailbroke my ipad. To be on the safe side.

Ok so..

I have the Deb file (frash actually)

I connected to my device with CyberDuck, and then I went to the Var Directory, and created a folder called Cydia, then within that another folder called AutoInstall, and I placed the Deb file in there. Rebooted the device twice, and then a ReSpring after that, and voila... installed, and worked perfectly.

basically, all of those steps above with iSsh, didn't really need to be done, it was just something I found online that I thought made sense, but wasn't really what I needed.

:)

joooster

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
i have a different way, I have dropbox on my iMac and drop the *.deb file into a dropbox folder, then on the ipad open dropbox and choose the file *.deb file a favourite (this downloads a local copy).

The open iFile and navigate to the dropbox cached files folder, when you try to open the *.deb file it gives you the option to use installer to execute the *.de file.

Job done and quite easy

Cheers

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I won't go into to much detail as to why I wanna know this... just simply.. I have a *.deb file on my host machine, and I am curious about how to install it on the iPad? Anyone know anything about this!?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,

If you're thinking of installing "Frash.deb", don't do it. You'll end up slamming your iPad to the ground out of frustration because Safari crashing all the time.

ibebyi

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009
a substantially easier way to do this:

Go to cydia and install iFile (File browser with TONS of features)
in iFile click on the deb file and choose installer. It will take care of it for you and even will be visible in the Manage->Packages section of Cydia.

Hope this helps

p.s. @ciaran00:
I'm pretty sure its not a "leak" as the project is open source and hosted on comex's github. didn't someone just compile/build it into a deb so people didn't have to build it themselves. in fact comex said it was fine there was a deb floating around, just preferred it was hosted on a repo

antdawe

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Easiest way is to ssh into iPad.

1. Go to var/root/media and create a folder called cydia
2. Create another folder within cydia called autoinstaller
3. Transfer file to this folder and restart iPad.
Job done

As it has been mentioned don't bother with frash yet, it clearly isn't ready for release. Very clever what they have done but not ready.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Easiest way is to ssh into iPad.

1. Go to var/root/media and create a folder called cydia
2. Create another folder within cydia called autoinstaller
3. Transfer file to this folder and restart iPad.
Job done

As it has been mentioned don't bother with frash yet, it clearly isn't ready for release. Very clever what they have done but not ready.

Why not install Frash? It's a nice start and lets you do some things you couldn't before. When a video supporting version comes out, upgrade!

Working great on my iPad!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I tend to be more visually oriented with file systems so I prefer "DiskAid". Plug your iDevice to your computer, open DiskAid and you can access and manipulate the file structure as you would any window/structure in OS X.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
i have a different way, I have dropbox on my iMac and drop the *.deb file into a dropbox folder, then on the ipad open dropbox and choose the file *.deb file a favourite (this downloads a local copy).

The open iFile and navigate to the dropbox cached files folder, when you try to open the *.deb file it gives you the option to use installer to execute the *.de file.

Job done and quite easy

Cheers

really easy way! on another note, what's the latest frash version?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You install a .deb file using iFile, Place the deb file on the phone (emailig to you, or using SSH) and them open it on iFile and done.

You can also use SSH, once you have the file on the phone, just go to the same directory where the file is and run

Code:
dpkg -i filename.deb

Or you can do it from anywhere typen the path to the file
Code:
dpkg -i PATH/TO/THE/FILE/filename.deb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.